iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate to see this.

Started by hackberry jake, February 22, 2015, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Just got the tree cut up into rounds and started splitting it. About half of the pieces looked like this. Good sized tree too.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Assume you are looking at the fancy grain, and not the worm holes.  ;) Guess one could hate it either way...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

Let's see, what can I make that's short and skinny?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WmFritz

My wife helped split 2 face cords the other day (she ran the handle).  :D
All I heard from her was ''look at this pretty wood... I can't believe your burning this stuff.''

I didn't want to stop her work to explain that you don't saw straight lumber from crooked logs. So, I just kept nodding and agreeing with her.    ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Just Me

That would be some pretty wood. I split up some cherry this year and there was a couple of crotches I split that made me cringe. I resawed one out and dried it in the microwave and finished it. If I remember I will post a picture.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

hackberry jake

White oak. If WDH could've had a look at the (insert fancy word), he would've known it was white oak from a mile away.   :P

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 23, 2015, 09:26:55 AM
White oak. If WDH could've had a look at the (insert fancy word), he would've known it was white oak from a mile away.   :P

... at the dosidos non porous lateralally connected jackson rod interface. ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking it will still burn just fine. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

clww

Yes, it should burn great. White oak burns the hotter of the two, but not as warm as hickory. fire_smiley
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

hackberry jake

The maul seems to perfer the red variety over white or hickory.
smiley_chop

clww

Most definitely the red oak splits easier than the other two.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 23, 2015, 09:40:01 AM

Exactly.  Could not have said it better myself.  It was that rod interface that thew me off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2015, 08:22:39 PM
Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 23, 2015, 09:40:01 AM

Exactly.  Could not have said it better myself.  It was that rod interface that thew me off.

They get me every time.

CHARLIE

Hackberry Jake, make small boxes (i.e. Jewelry box)! Everyone likes boxes.  You can even just use the fancy woodgrain as an inset of the lid to show it off and make the box out of a contrasting wood.  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!