iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big ugly buts

Started by Dave H., February 22, 2015, 09:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

do these buts make my mill look ugly?,lol.7 total 3;-5' long, 15"-18" on the small ends.these are for a current customer order,ill make a post about that later.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave H. on February 22, 2015, 09:02:46 PM
do these buts make my mill look ugly?

No the Cheeseburgers do......Oh wait a minute, thats not right.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Ironically, "jump butted" logs produce much better lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

They look like they may have reached their expiry date.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

5quarter

Is the order for wood chips?  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

dean herring

Magicman, what is jump butted and what makes it better?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Magicman

Jump butt is a term describing what probably happened to those logs.  The butts were cut off leaving much better quality lumber in the remaining butt log.

Butt logs that are felled leaving a short stump will have much "compression/stress in the butt end of the log.

Notice the wrinkled bark at the base of this tree.  Assuredly lumber sawed from the butt portion of that log will actually slightly turn a blade leaving a hump on the butt portion of each board.

Landowners selling logs by weight naturally want the tree felled as close to the ground as possible.  I would rather saw logs from trees that left a 2-2½' stump.  The lumber quality will be much better, plus saw truer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jrose1970

You learn something everyday. Even when you are not meaning too. LOL
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

terrifictimbersllc

Jump butt candidate for the Forestry Forum Dictionary.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

"jump butt" doesn't necessarily mean to leave high stumps, but when the tree is down it likely means to analyze the butt end and leave it in the woods if it has lots of swell (i.e as MM pic shows), or heart rot,  or a pistol butt (i.e. growing on a steep hillside), or other cull wood. Jump up the stem a ways to start the bucking cuts.
Whole tree logging, may mean the jump cuts get left on the landing and not hauled to the mill, or the jump cuts may be done at the mill so not processed at the head saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I did not intend to get "high stumping" confused with "jump butt" but I may have by including them both in my above post.  Sorry.  My intention was to indicate that if the pictured tree was felled, it probably would need jump butting to avoid the stress obviously contained within the butt end of the log.

If/when I need shorten a butt log most often it will be jump butted instead of making a top cut.

DMcCoy

The forces that must be dealt with at the stump, have got to be unreal, compression, twist, etc..  Just a 100' tree swaying in the wind, how much leverage must the stump withstand.  That is some of the nastiest fire wood you will ever split.

beenthere

MM
I'm willing to let ya off da hook..   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

I figured I'd add a pic of my ugly butt.  This is from my cypress pile.  I decided to slab it 8/4.  2nd cut hit 2 nails and 3rd hit 6.  Luckily that blade was nearly done anyway.  I put a blade that I had mistakenly ordered the wrong specs on the mill.  Flipped the butt over and hit 2 nails on the first cut.  The rest went fine and the blade continued to cut true.  Got some pretty little slabs.  I hope to line 2 up with the top of one slab to the bottom of the other (side by side) and join them to make a small table. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Would make a pretty counter top.  8)

ozarkgem

I like the term jump butts.
Jump butts logging
Jump butts sawmill
Jump butts pogo sticks
Jump butts BBQ
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

@Ocklawahaboy Looks like you found out the hard way why that log had been jump butted.  :-\

WDH

MM,

Glad you clarified.  When you mentioned 2 1/2' stumps, my Forester heart skipped a beat  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
MM,

Glad you clarified.  When you mentioned 2 1/2' stumps, my Forester heart skipped a beat  :).

Well it is 61 years old. You may need a POWER BOX  :D :D :D

WDH

And a Fan to evaporate the sweat off my brow just thinking about 2 1/2' high stumps.

Dang, MM. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D........You're killing me!   (last saying)

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
When you mentioned 2 1/2' stumps, my Forester heart skipped a beat  :).
Yup, from a selling standpoint, that would be a great amount of weight left in the woods.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Magicman on February 23, 2015, 08:34:57 PM
@Ocklawahaboy Looks like you found out the hard way why that log had been jump butted.  :-\
I'm probably glad I only brought one of those butts home.  There were a dozen laying around.  I don't regret cutting it though. 

Thank You Sponsors!