iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ether hog

Started by coxy, February 22, 2015, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

well my 518 has been getting bad as it was taking a hole can of ether to start in this cold    yesterday went to start it and only turned over 4 times made a funny noise and went clunk  smoke came out from under the seat   the starter shaft broke by the nose cone and the magnets that are on the casing broke loose and shorted the starter out melted the battery cables off the battery long story short put new starter on and now turns over like there is no pistons in it    never had to ether it this am  so the old starter must of been bad since I got the skidder 4 years ago   i always had to ether it even in the summer and always turned over slow but though it was the nature of the beast

submarinesailor

Sounds like you may have had a bad battery cable and/or ground and didn't know it until things shorted out and burnt up. 

I remember when I did some infrared scanning work for USX Turtle Creek, on their locomotives.  I was surprised at the number of high resistance connections they had - corrosion and loose connections.

Bruce

dgdrls

Glad she didn't decide to burn-up more than that,

Be safe coxy,

Best
DGdrls

coxy

funny thing is never had a starter get ripped apart like that be for and the guy I got the new starter from only seen it one other time    and said hes been doing them over 40 years   go figure only in my world  :D     how much snow you got dgdrls   we have a little over 3ft more in some spots  :(

Loghauler86

It's been my experience that good battery cables can make a world of differance. I have replaced just battery cables on several trucks and machines and they turn over much faster and fire sooner.

dgdrls

Quote from: coxy on February 22, 2015, 07:53:22 PM
funny thing is never had a starter get ripped apart like that be for and the guy I got the new starter from only seen it one other time    and said hes been doing them over 40 years   go figure only in my world  :D     how much snow you got dgdrls   we have a little over 3ft more in some spots  :(

Same boat,  3 feet plus,  tough going for outside work. 
The JD blower has earned its keep and then some this year.
hope it gets above 0 for a stretch,  today was actually warm enough to wash... eh rinse-off  my truck. 
DGDrls

mills

Were you able to find an after market starter, or did you go with Cat?

loggah

With that kind of luck you better buy a lottery ticket!! ;D Its a wonder you didn't blow a battery up ! :laugh:
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ohio_Bill

I was in the same situation with my 318 perkins starting hard.took the starter for rebuild and it was cheeper for a new gear reduction starter .wow what difference started great this morning at 14 degrees. Should have changed it years ago.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

timberjackrob

its amazing how much difference a new starter,batterys,and cables can make have had similar experiences with tractor in the past
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!