iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAWMILL BUILDERS ??

Started by EIGHTWGT, August 26, 2004, 08:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EIGHTWGT

Hey guys.....

I ordered the plans for a "Simple Saw"  After speaking with a few people that have built them and hearing some good reports - It looked like a good way to go given that I have a little machine construction (hobby stuff) experiance.
One guy I am in touch with has actually built 3 of them and had LOTS of pics of the machines....

I am open to ANY and all advice on the subject !!
Tom told me I should go cut my teeth on a few logs first before I start - I am going to take that advice before I purchase the first nut and bolt !

here is a picture (without blade cover) of what I want to build basically

Home built (building) mill - Milling logs to build a home for the family

sprucebunny

What keeps the blade from cruising on off the tires?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

EIGHTWGT

By slightly canting the tires outward from one another just slightly the band wants to creep towards the frame, you tune it that way and final control is achieved with the bearing guides......

This is a question I had myself and this was the answer I recieved from an experianced builder. He has built a few of them with nice full blade guards - very nice machines. He has written me several times this past week and has commented highly about the machine saying that the cut quality really surprised him from day one.  It was based on his input that I made the decision to build this style of machine instead of purchasing 'normal' band wheels..........

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

EIGHTWGT

Thanks Buzz........  thats just what I was trying to explain !! :D

samdland

I have built a mill similar to Bill Rakes design. It worked rather well allthough I always had problems with the blade walking forward at high RPM regardless of the wheel camber. I think it was due to the tires coneing at high RPM. Allthough the blade never walked off it did sometimes walk beyond the blade guides. I now build em like this http://616.netfirms.com/sawmill/a.html of course you will spend about a $1000.00 more.

EIGHTWGT

Nice looking.........  But why is it 1000 more ???

I may look into building simular to this - but my question is where do you draw the line as far as building VS buying....

I need to start adding up and estimating cost to build the unit.....   Id love to build a unit with 'real' band wheels, but if the tires work well.... why spend the money ?  I have had people tell me the tires also have advantages in spite of the disadvantages......

samdland

There may not be a $1000 difference if you plan on using all new materials as my first mill was assembled mainly with junk yard finds etc.

If you would like to explore building a mill with all the bells and whistles you may find on a proffessionally made one. you should have a look at http://www.linnlumber.com. Linns video will give some good insite into what all is required.

D._Frederick

Eight-,

The only advantage I can see on using sheetmetal rims and auto tires for band wheels is that you can get larger diameter with out spending $200/ea for a 24inch  Vee belt pulley. If your time is worth nothing and you can build a mill out of scrap material, maybe that is the way to go, but if you are going to by new iron and hardware, the Vee belt pulleys will add about 20%.

Of about the 30 bandsaw mills mfg that I can find on the net, only one is using inflatable band wheels. If there was two identical mills, one using car tire for band wheels, and one with Vee belt pulleys I would pay the extra cost to get the metal wheels!

Buzz-sawyer

I like your plans....I see lots of advantages to rubber wheels....
 8) 8) 8) 8)

easily replaced, balanced, inexpensive,easily put round, I know several people who have built commercial production mills and run them daily ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ADfields

What line do I get in for the "$200/ea 24inch V-belt pulleys" D_Frederick ???   I found some for $385 each but that don't even count balancing witch was $75 each.   Or from Cooks for about $460 each all set to use. :o   I found 19 inch for just over $200 each without balance but 25 inch trailer tires were $165 a pair including the rims, mounting and balancing.   The trailer tires have a bunch of advantages like cheep, less spinning mass, find them any place etc. and the only real draw back I see is the stigma they have in resale value of the mill.
Andy

etat

Today I was roofing a house and I spyed a big ole pully.  It looked to by 24 inches, 'heavy' and off of a great big ole welder that had been scrapped out. Been laying there for a while .  I can imagine anything that could overload this monster.  It looked like it would take four belts  and had a hole in the center that was about a inch and a half, or two inches.  The spokes were wide heavy metal and reminded me of thick fan blades. I'm a thinking I could pert near get it for the asking.  I know nothing about sawmills,  I have NO idea if this is anything of value, just though I'd throw it out there if anybody was interested.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

pinecone

I have gone down this limb recently.  I finsihed building my own mill back in March this year.  Right after the price of steel went up 40%.  From the ground to actually milling lumber 275 Hrs. Cost very close to $9500 CD.  My mill is probably close to looking like a Baker product.  I used 20" v-belt cheaves, 185.00CD,I can't remember the company,  Carter guides,bought from the US at 89.00US, Woodproducts Inc., BLM 4" clutch pulley, works great, 13hp Honda motor, 1 1/2" Lenox blades, 32.00CDx10.

My mill is 24', portable, sets up in minutes, I don't mind the pushing and pulling, I can handle a 26"-28" log x 22'

You have to have a mig welder, helps to have a steel band saw for cutting the steel. Above all you must be extremely accurate in your meas. and welding.  There are quite a few tricks to welding as well, understanding temperature and heat control to keep your corners square.

I built this mill so I can build my own timber frame home.  I'm not a meachinist nor timber framer. Most people don't believe me when I tell them I built it myself.  As soon as I get a digitial camera I will post some pictures.

Sorry about the long post, lastly this is a great site, I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.  This site is where I got most of my info from before I began building.

ex-racer

I've been reading this great forum for awhile now, and it's become a favorite.

Seems like most of you home-builders are doing bandmills. Just wondering if there are any circle saw builders out there? Sure hope the circle sawmill (we call them "rotary" saws around here) isn't becoming obsolete.

I have one that I built about 30 years ago, that I haven't used since 1986. I'm now getting it ready to saw some lumber to build a summer cottage.

Some more photos here -http://electric-ed.com/My%20Sawmill/

Ed

EIGHTWGT

Wow--- Nice saw....  That sucker looks mean !

You did a fine job on it........  Looks like it will get some serious work done !

Buzz - I too have talked to more than a few that convinced me that wheels work fine - They have their setbacks like everything but will work just fine and save me a bunch....

By the way - I have no problem building - and yes my time is worth something but I just so happen to love doing these type things -
Take a look at my last 'project'  - Made me proud - so after this a saw should be pretty easy -

Its a 4' X 8' CNC Router (above it is my woodstrip canoe - western red cedar)

beenthere

The CNC router looks like a great project. There is a story there, and sure would like you to tell about it. New thread maybe. Picture link?

Used for sign making, carving, gunstocks?  Time to make, from scratch, parts sources, rough cost, computer power, software used, speed, tolerance, etc. would be of interest.  

Sawmill for you should be a piece of cake (until you try to make the corner and change directions in the cut  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

EIGHTWGT

Yea I guess the CNC thing is definately a whole new thread - anyone want to start it ??  LOL   ;D

Heres the link

http://www.inshorepowerboats.com/cnc%20stuff/CNCROUTER.htm

There are pictures and all the info on the site.... -  Guys its my site where I sell plans to it - I am NOT trying to sell plans on this forum..... I wanted to state that so I dont get anyone upset.....   :o

OK NOW LETS GEY BACK TO SAWMILLS !!    ;D ;D ;D[/url]

GF

I custom built my saw also and have had great luck with it, I made it fully hydraulic.  See if I can get these uploaded correctly.

EIGHTWGT

GF

Wow - NICE looking saw - Id love to see more.  Did you use your own plans or Bill Rakes design ??  

Looks like a great saw !!   What type Band wheels ?  Power ?  Cost ??
Now ya know I have to make mine look that good now !

D._Frederick

AD-,

Its been several years since I priced the pulleys and they were off-shore made. I know that you are not going to buy Browning pulleys for that price.

The other problem you will have on using inflatable wheels is workman com. insurance or liability insurance. When the insurance company sends out an engineer to check your home made saw and finds car tires being used in a non-compliant application, they will not be will to take the risk. I guess that if you are not going to have anybody around the mill when you saw, then you don't have a problem.

D._Frederick

X-,

That is quite a saw, you sure have plenty of steel in it. What are you using to advance your head blocks (chain, screw, rack) and what do you have for set works?

EIGHTWGT

I have a question :  What is gained by using a crank driven head VS manually pushed ?  I watched a video from Woodmiser, as well as others and did not know if Id like the crank style VS just pushing it......

I need to go saw some logs with Tom ........   :)

D._Frederick

Eight-,

Better control of the carriage, helps when sawing knotty logs, can speed up or slow down the carriage better.

EIGHTWGT

Crank feed - Hmmmm.... add that to the list of goodies, I need to look at some machines and see how they handle the feed mechanisms.....

GF

EIGHTWHT
    I used 27" wheels and tires on mine and so far have not had any problems at all.  I put front and rear to board levelers on it, along with a chain turner, I have turned some 34" red oaks without any problems.  

You may want to goto www.surpluscenter.com I got alot of my parts from there, I also dealt directly with www.princedirect.com for all the hydraulics, they help on all the hyrdraulic componets and pretty much what I needed.

I initially started out wanting to build a manual mill, and then decided to go hydraulic as I was building.  The most expensive part was the hydraulics.  

Good Luck

Thank You Sponsors!