iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Terminology!

Started by shampjm1, February 20, 2015, 03:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shampjm1

Being as I'm just getting into this and am still searching for the right mill, I'm trying to figure out the lingo. All these terms are killing me. How can I figure this out the easy way?!
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! If you click on Extras on the top header, you will find a dictionary that should help. If you don't find it there, then you can ask specific questions here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

You'll find willing helpers here, welcome to FF.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shampjm1

Wow thanks guys. I've been around sawmills but have never run my own and am getting revved about getting one. Pretty much have decided on WM but don't know whether new or used.
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

drobertson

which ever brand you decide on, if possible  I would suggest to try and see it run for a day,  if not possible try to obtain some sort of recorded history of the mill.  Used mills can haunt for a spell, or run like a top if the bugs have been worked out.  The pricing will dictate one or the other.   As to the terminology, a good dose of reading will answer more than anything, terms and usages vary with locations at times, while other terms are set in stone.  A WMZ would be my first choice for a mid range band mill, I just like the user friendly design and portability.  Not that the other makes are not, everyone has there preferences ya know,  One with the Accuset II can prove to be handy once you learn the functions and how to incorporate them while sawing a material list.  Waste is minimal for sure.  And this really is the focal point of midrange band mills.  My biggest concern would be more on obtaining logs, selling or using the lumber, and getting rid of the waste in a timely fashion.  There will be slabs and dust to be sure. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shampjm1

The log side of this is definitely an issue of late. There's definitely a shortage. There's a few sawyers in the area and they stay pretty busy tho. And they're all wm owners. I'm just a bit worried about putting out that kind of money without being sure of what will happen. Ya know what I mean.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum shampjm1, and feel free to ask away.  The only dumb question is an unasked question, plus there is probably someone else wanting to know the same thing.  Very few days go by that I do not learn something here on the FF.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

waho

Why in the lumber industry is M displayed as 1000? Every time someone says they milled M number of board feet I think millions. Where I come from thousands are displayed as K

beenthere

Where do you come from?

Your location in your bio (go to your profile to do that) will help interpret what you are asking..  ;)

It is the lumber industry, and not the metric system in the States.. yet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

M is the Roman Numeral for 1000.  When in Rome... ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

BradMarks

I learned M to be a thousand and K was always associated with distance - Kilometers. 10k race, so on.  But I will say that these days K is associated with money - i.e. $50K, more than not, and therefore has become common to represent 1,000.

BradMarks

Following up, the # sign was always lbs. Never knew what a hashtag(marked food? ;D) was until texting and tweets, and tweets I don't do

Magicman

The Roman numeral "M" out dates the metric "K" by 1000 years.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

m is lumber, k is money, and you'll need alot of k's to buy many m's of lumber :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Sixacresand

I mill lumber by the M's and wished I got paid $K's for my effort.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!