iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just an introduction..........

Started by EIGHTWGT, August 25, 2004, 09:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EIGHTWGT

Hey guys.....

I just wanted to say hello to all....  I just joined the forum and thought Id say that I am new to this, and building a mill soon to cut my lumber for a house for my wife, kids and I.....
Im not newbie to woodworking, machinery, etc.... but Im a serious greenhorn when it comes to this sawmill / band mill stuff but I am quickly starting to learn .....

Tom
Home built (building) mill - Milling logs to build a home for the family

Pete J

Welcome Tom,

You've found the right place that's for sure. This is a great group of people. Now git posting!

Pete

sandmar

Welcome aboard EIGHTWGT!
As a serious greenhorn myself,I can assure you these guys will help you anyway possible to get you started right..so jump in with both feet and fire the questions..these folks are the best!

Sandmar

Tom

Welcome aboard Eightwgt!

You just started a long and exciting trip. :D

DanG

Welcome, EIGHTWGT! Good to see another Florida guy comin' on board. :)  You've just jumped into a hotbed of knowledge on mill buildin' and lumber sawin. One of the acknowledged gurus of bandsaw milling is right there in your hometown, and his name is Tom, too. He'll be along shortly, if he ain't done fell asleep in his chair. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well shucks! He types faster and shorter than I do. :-[  I think I'll go to sleep in my chair.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Eightwgt!  DanG! Another Tom on the forum......and from Jacksonville yet!  Two Toms from Jacksonville. hmmmmmmmmmmmm  

Have fun Eightwgt. There is a bunch of nice guys here. Pull up a nail keg and sit over here by the stove and jaw a bit.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sandmar

oh yeah EIGHTWGT.....we need to know your stance on grits..love 'em or hate 'em..it's like the mason-dixon line on this forum...and about the only squabble you will ever hear here.....ain't you glad I brought it up Jeff?

Sandmar

Paul_H

Welcome Tom.

Hey,how come it's spelled Jacksonville,but pronounced Jacksonveal. :P

Good luck on the milling and house building!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

EIGHTWGT

Sandmar -

GRITS !!   Are ya kiddin me !

I love them - I even get stone ground coarse grits just to eat with my fried shrimp, venison, quail you name it.... I just kick it up a notch -just add a lil cheese, garlic   oh yea baby !!

Weekend_Sawyer

Anyone who likes Grits is ok by me. Welcome abord.
WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

raycon

Is "EightWgt" short for eight weight fly rod/line?
Lot of stuff..

EIGHTWGT

Ray -

You got it    ;D

Im a fly fishing junky

pappy

Ray,
if it's an eight weight line/rod EIGHTWGT must have one heck of an arm. :D :D  Fly casting for Tarpon sure looks like fun from what I see on the tele.

Welcome EIGHTWGT,
if grits go good with "lil cheese, garlic" I just gotta try it.

A couple things FF members like are pictures and food. ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

EIGHTWGT

" The ultimate high - A tarpon on a fly"    8)

" Searching for Tarpon "

For Grits :
Just cook some grits, and when they are done sprinkle a handfull of grated cheddar in, add about a 1/2 teaspoon of granulated (not powdered) garlic but powdered will work....

Stir it up, and serve with some fried shrimp, quail, chicken-

mmmmmm--- good !!!

raycon

Lot of stuff..

EIGHTWGT

--Baked garlic cheese grits --
Now thats some gooood eatin !!

EIGHTWGT

Ok........  had my fun -

Back to millin stuff !

(but Ill talk fishing anytime)     ;D

Kirk_Allen

Welcome aboard Tom.  Be prepared for a venture of a life time 8)

Fly fishing huh?  A fly rod is all I used fishing for salmon in Alaska for 12 years.  48 lb King was the biggest I ever caught and it took me over an hour to get it onto the shore line.

Took my fly rod up to the Northwest Territory on a fishing trip several years ago and everyone thought I was nuts.  We were fising for Pike, Wallye, and Lake Trout.  Any guess who caught the most fish and by luck of the draw, the largest 8)

Fly rods ROCK.  Once you get the hang of it you dont want to use anything else.

Welcome aboard!

sandmar

--Baked garlic cheese grits --
Now thats some gooood eatin !!

uh-oh Jeff :o looks like another one for our side 8) it's OK EIGHTWGT some of the guys here just needs some properly prepared grits I think...keep the recipes coming..second biggest topic on the Forestry Forum..FOOD!

Sandmar

EIGHTWGT

I have a few recipes too......... ;D  
To sum it up - I like cooking, woodworking,anything on the water,archery,hunting,and building 'gadgets'

example 1: My bow I built recently from Bocote

So Im going to love this forum !!

Haytrader

EIGHTWGT,

Very nice bow.
Why ya got Bambi there on the wall? And it's mom......

Must be why lots of Floridians ( and from other places) are comin up here to Kansas and spendin the big $$ to hunt.

;)

Guess we feed em too good.
Haytrader

etat

:)AH HA!!!!!!!    RE IN FORCE MENTS!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM  EIGHTWGT!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

JimY

EIGHTWGT,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm building a mill as well right now.  Still have to build the bed and tweak the rest of it.  So far so good.  If I can help with sources for parts or anything else just let me know.

Jim

EIGHTWGT

Aaaahh man..........    :'(  Bambi huh...  Well let me tell ya - That actually was a 200 pound 8 point - yes a young one but it was my first deer - AND done with a bow ( I never have shot a deer with a gun)  The other rack was taken the following year, and last year about same size... BUT - Here ya go - I got them all in Indiana !!!!
Florida deer are too small...... and Im from Illinois originally so I travel to hunt. Im waiting on my big one but considering I drove 900 miles, set up my own stand, (did own scouting) no guides,etc...  on a strangers land - I scored 3 out of 3 years with a bow so give me a LITTLE credit.  I had deer all over me last year but never saw mr bad...... but I saw him 2 years before - about a 180 class..... but no shot yet    ;D

Jim - Id like to talk to ya about parts - email me sometime soon

Buzz-sawyer

Dont let ol haytrader get to ya......hes just givin ya the rasberries........I knew those were not Florida deer ...if they were they usually have on dog collars and tags, mistakenly put on by the humane society :D

Hey man I hunt with a recurve too, and I can shoot at a moving target shooting instinctively.....I had a compound guy harass me about how good he was and how many trophies he had won.....so I challenged him to see who could put the most arrows in a moving milk jug in 5 seconds...............never would, I guess his sight pins take a bit longer to set up!!!! ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Arthur

if you havnt started building your mill the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition is just around the corner both time and distance in Moultrie, Georgia October 19-21, 2004

It appears there will be a number of members there as well as a good variety of different types of mills.

come have a look.

Haytrader

Hey Buzz,

Rasberries huh? Taint what my wife calls it...... ;D

EIGHTWTG,

We realy do have some of the biggest deer here in Comanche County Kansas. And I wasn't kiddin bout the Florida boys either. We have a tranferrable tag here and I have heard of some going for $4000 and that is with no guide, place to hunt, or accomodations. Not to mention equipment, gear, eats, and travel expenses.
My conclusion is that these guys have lots better jobs than I do.
Haytrader

DanG

The problem Florida hunters face ain't a lack of deer, or even a lack of big deer. It is a lack of a place to hunt. All of the public land is too crowded to be safe, and private hunting land is scarce and expensive.

It's true that most Florida deer run a bit on the small side, but the bigguns are here, too. My Brother killed a 245 pounder some years ago, not far from where I live now. One antler was broken off, but it would've been a 12 point.

EIGHTWGT

Dan

You are right - I have seen some nice deer in Florida......  I simply do not have a place to hunt - I wish I did. I refuse to hunt public land where rifles are being used - besides I am a bow hunter.  I want so bad to take my boy hunting but cannot due to a lack of places to hunt in Florida.  I had planned on bringing him up to Indiana this year- I have true WORLD class deer hunting where I go, however -due to school regs I cannot keep him out more than a few days - so I guess Ill have to wait to find a place to hunt in Florida and as you said its TOUGH........   :(

DanG

EW, there are a couple of good WMAs over this way that don't have any gun traffic in bow season. I think one of them is for primitive weapons only, even in general season, but I'm not totally sure about that. I'll look it up and get back to you. Why don't you and Tom saddle up and ride over this way for a look-see?  I can almost guarantee a fun trip. ;D

EIGHTWGT

Hmmm...... I mayu take ya up on that one !  Is Tom a hunter also ???

8)

Tom

EIGHTWGT

Nothin wrong with that Tom !!   Tom - when ya sawin logs again... I need to come check that rig out and learn a few things !

Tom

Don't have to be sawing to do that.

Most everybody is laying low now.  I don't have anything going, just waiting for some to get their stuff together.

EIGHTWGT

Well Id love to come over sometime so let me know if and when youd like to teach a newbie a thing or two......  

I just passed a lot being cleared that looked like it had a few good logs layin there - I need to go back and see what they were......

Tom you should see the 'stump' I saw on SanJose Friday... must have been 4' at least in diameter - Id guess a huge live oak.... someone got a nice big one (or a heck of a pile of fire wood)

Tom

More like a big pile of wood.  I cut the big live oaks from the Mandarin Baptist Church a few months ago and there were 3 of those big stumps left.   The wood was cut for stair treads and went to a kiln.  Most came out, I've since heard, not more than firewood.  They were able to use some of it but not like they thought they would get.  Live Oak is a difficult wood to saw, dry and machine.  I kind of walk past a live oak being dropped, casually looking the other way and whistling , hoping that they don't see me.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!