iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plaster finish inside of purlins

Started by shinnlinger, February 18, 2015, 07:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello,

I am putting up plaster board between my purlins so that a coat of tinted plaster will work it up and I will be done.  As opposed to taping drywall and painting or cutting in beadboard and trimming.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brian_Weekley

Shinnlinger,

Not sure I follow.  I thought plaster board is the same as drywall?  Are you skim coating the drywall?  How do you deal with seams without taping?

Thanks,

Brian
e aho laula

shinnlinger

Plasterboard absorbs water and allows plaster to stick to it.    My neighbor is a plasterer and can basically come in in one pass and fill the section and be done.   Drywall would require sanding and then painting which would become tedious around the beams. 
Shinnlinger

Brian_Weekley

I've never plastered before, but I like it.  Not sanding and painting is a good thing.  Do you do anything special at the plaster-wood interface?  What happens to the plaster when the purlin dries or just moves due to normal seasonal expansion/contraction?  Just wondering if that's a concern?
e aho laula

shinnlinger

It will probably have a bit of a gap but my frame is 7 years old and has been enclosed and heated for a number of years so hopefully its done most of its  shrinking
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Peak is done in the master bedroom.  Looks pretty good to me!

Shinnlinger

fishfighter

That is sweet looking. Anymore pictures of the building?

shinnlinger

Check out my gallery. Few shots there...
Shinnlinger

Brian_Weekley

Looks nice.  Does it take more than one coat of plaster or can he completely finish each section with one coat at a time?
e aho laula

fishfighter

shinnlinger

He basically does them at the same time, but it is technically two coats.  He will lay in a load of mud and then push his scaffold to the next bay and repeat.  Once done he will come back and add a second layer but it is really just random high spots for texture and then roll back to the other bay.  He will then roll back and knock down the high spots to finish it up.  I would say about a half hour for two sections.

Shinnlinger

beenthere

He certainly earns his keep with those small and tight areas trying to trowel on that coating. But looks like he is doing a good job for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Different professionals have different talents. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

He actually likes it because he can do a small area and be done vs having to worry about it setting up too fast.

It is also a great way to get tight to the beams.  He is quite good and can make it much smoother or textured but my wife liked what he I doing so that ended that.   
Shinnlinger

Bruno of NH

I like the textured look with the beams IMO .
Nothing like real plaster it's the best .
Looks good Shinn
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

I agree. Looks real nice. Going to have to check in to this.

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on February 25, 2015, 10:38:14 PM
Different professionals have different talents.

Yup! I'd have plaster all over those beams in nothin flat!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger

Geeg

That blue 3M tape works wonders, Nice job shinnlinger!. I did mine a little different and screwed the drywall on the back side of the osb, same same but different  :laugh:

Finished Product
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

so il logger

Tom King

I prefer plaster over drywall dust any day.   Did you use USG Diamond?  Check out my website for some plaster work I've done.

Thank You Sponsors!