iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yuk! Snow and ice :/

Started by CCC4, February 17, 2015, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Yeh...this Southern logger is whining about a little snow! I have come to realize though that we would be waaay better off if we had a highway department that would actually do something for us! No cinders, no salt, and no sand out...just a bladed icefield....omg!`Gonna be 0* 2moro...dats cold on Southerners! Lol!

Joe Hillmann

Not to be a jerk, but, what do you expect the highway department to do about it?  I assume they don't have the equipment to clear the roads and if they do probably not enough.  They are probably doing the best they can with the equipment they have available.

CCC4

They have the trucks and materials...they just arent using them. I would hope that they would at least put down cinders or sand...salt seems to be a big no no here. The next county up is working their roads and have them decent....I just wish for once our county would put forth a little effort.

Ford_man

At least you don't have bugs splattered all over your windshield. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

snowstorm

as soon as you plow it will pack what isnt scraped off any traffic will pack it then it bonds to the pavement. salt warmer temps sun and traffic is your friend. salt will not do anything until it gets wet. thats why some pre wet the salt. traffic helps the salt make a brine then the roads get black even if the temp is colse to zero

WV Sawmiller

Triple C,

I had the 2 older granddaughters (9 & 6) this afternoon and tried to take them sledding on their snow racers I brought back from Norway (One ski hooked to steering wheel on front and 2 skis on back and seat about 1' high). Tried to take them to top of the pasture but snow was so deep 4 wheelers would only go about half way so I dragged the sleds up for them then when we got to top found the snow was too soft and too deep for them to run on top of it. I did tow the older one around the drive behind my 4 wheeler to help pack it down when we got back down off the hillside.

While I was on the hillside the county truck came by plowing the road and knocked over my mailbox. I had to replace it last year for same reason. I caught the driver on the way back down and talked with him about it. He will talk with is supervisor to see if they can come up with a solution. It is per mail carrier code and if I put the box higher or further away the mail carrier can't reach it, if it is close to the road and lower the snow plow has started getting it. (I have lived her 25 years and last year was first time they hit it. I really think it is our new crop of county drivers.) If I build a barricade in front with my luck some drunk will hit it and get killed and family will sue me for creating a hazard.

We never had these problems where I grew up in Florida. (Well we did have a drunk neighbor who used to back into the mailbox every Saturday night till we put a concrete post in front and he only hit it once after that. I guess when he had to replace the back bumper his wife got hold of him and fixed that problem.)

Oh well, it will eventually thaw out then we go back to complaining about pollen, mud, flooding or something else.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

repmma

I have to go about 8 miles before i get to a paved road thats snow free!!  Been that way for about a month. 

And why do you want cinder blocks tossed out on the road?  Seems like its hard enough for you folks to drive on snowy/icy roads without dodging those! 

Stay strong, this too shall pass!
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

CCC4

Quote from: repmma on February 17, 2015, 05:57:40 PM
I have to go about 8 miles before i get to a paved road thats snow free!!  Been that way for about a month. 

And why do you want cinder blocks tossed out on the road?  Seems like its hard enough for you folks to drive on snowy/icy roads without dodging those! 

Stay strong, this too shall pass!

LOL! I didn't say we want 088's thrown in the road! LOL! Actually the cinders that they use work really well if they will just use them. Yeh it will pass but I need to get back to work, the drive down south to my job site will be trecherous. Planning on leaving out either 2moro night or Thursday morning...we have more snow expected but if I can get to the hotel, I will be one step closer to being back to work.

CCC4

WV Sawmiller, I had to get a PO Box due to kids and ball bats. :)

We aren't setup for snow here, we get some...but a foot or more would shut the towns down. It would be chaos LOL!

thecfarm

How about a swing mail box. I have a post about 8 feet from the road and the mail box is on a chain. Most years they can plow right under it,if they get that far over. One year the door was open on it,yep,they hit it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

When I worked in a sawmill on the California coast the guy who ran the chipper had a few cows that he milked every day before and after work. He sold the milk to creamery A till creamery B offered him about 3 cents more a gallon.  So the driver for creamery A started knocking over his mail box with the front right corner of the truck bed. After replacing the mail box post a few times he took a piece of heavy railroad rail and berried it about three feet in concrete and set the mail box on top of it. Made a pretty stout post, so stout in fact that the next time creamery A's driver came along he found himself parked in the ditch facing the other way between the mailbox and the fence. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Autocar

We put a two by five foot peace of plywood anchored on two fence post about a foot or two away from the mail box and it protects the mail box from the main blow of snow when the plow goes by.
Bill

snowstorm

mailboxs  a few facts at least in maine. if your mailbox gets hit by the plow. the contractor or town or state whoever owns the truck is not responsible. and can not be held libel by state law. if you put up a mailbox in the road riteofway  you are putting it on state or town land. anything larger than a 4x4" wooden post is considered a fixed deadly object. put the post up and out 5or6ft and hang the box from 2 small chains. now the wing will go under the box and you dont have to shovel the snow away from it anymore. most people dont know the driver can not see the wing looking out the side window. you get used to where it is but can only see it in the mirror on the wing post. my little f550 is 13ft wide the ih is over 14ft wide. if you cant see my mirrors i cant see you. look out for the plow trucks with out them you wont get where you want to go

Southside

Yea we got about a foot here, with rain on top, it was decent today, to the point where black top was melting the snow, but same thing here - no plows, sand, or anything has been around.  Now its heading for the single digits so it will all be packed ice.  Great job VDOT. I took the skidder out and cleaned up where I am working, then made a nice wide, clean spot on the road at entrance - only place around where there is dry hot top, but at least I can get in and out of the lot.  Sunday going to be 50's and rain - lovely....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen Alford

CCC4 if you head north looking for work ,ya might want to bring a shirt... just sayin... :D :D

logon

Corley5

Our gravel roads are better in the winter.  The ice and snow evens out the bumps and holes making them much more pleasant to drive on  ;D :)  Really  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

And there's only snow dust which is no where near as bad dirt  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Maybe the plow trucks are ruuning away scared.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Thx for the advice from several of you. I wrote a HS buddy of mine back in Fla where I grew up. He works for the county there. He says no problems with snow plows but they hit lots with bushhogs cutting the right of way. He says if they knock one over they right it. If destroy it they have boxes and poles and replace it. My county is not that savvy. He also suggested a type of hanging mailbox and I may have to do that.

I have seen and heard of kids with bats destroying mailboxes. Seems awful risky as a federal offense if there is mail inside but I digress. Saw where a guy welded one up and a carload of teenagers came by, the batter swung, hit the box, the bat broke and the splintered head bounced back and killed him. I'm sorry for the family but not the kid. Deliberately destroying my property is the same as stealing and I treat it the same.

The guy yesterday was okay about it. The first thing he said when he stopped was "I guess you are about ready to shoot me aren't you?" I told him "Well, I thought about it some. Now what do we need to do to fix this situation?" Neither of us were really out of sorts. He's got a hard job, I understand that and I do want my road plowed which is why I didn't say anything last time but I also have to put my box there. We'll come to terms somehow.

Well, I better go get my box back up or LuAnne won't have a place to put my bills. You guys stay warm and be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CCC4

I am going on a parts run with my boss, we are on the interstate and cars are whiping out everywhere on this ice....my boss is driving like its Summer time in his new duely...I got my seat belt on...omg lol! Sheet of ice everywhere....

mesquite buckeye

Note that I am not complaining about the snow.

;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lopet

Quote from: Stephen Alford on February 18, 2015, 06:59:28 AM
  CCC4 if you head north looking for work ,ya might want to bring a shirt... just sayin... :D :D

You don't look like you're in wood cutting mode Stephen  ;D
Wow, you really got hammered with snow, we only have to deal with the cold here but not that much snow.  Stay warm.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

346xp

I have snow banks 6 foot tall in front of my house and its snowing again now 8)

Stephen Alford

Well Lopet not much wood cutting going on but there sure is ample  "wood burning" . 
This image was impressive. https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/gkzpl0v.jpg?w=620
logon

sprucebunny

Quote from: Corley5 on February 18, 2015, 07:25:57 AM
Our gravel roads are better in the winter.  The ice and snow evens out the bumps and holes making them much more pleasant to drive on  ;D :)  Really  8) 8)
Our "paved" roads ( they do have pavement but one has to wonder how it got there cause they are so rough ! ) are better in the winter because they plow them extra wide and you can drive mostly on the unpaved shoulder to miss the bumps and holes ::)  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!