iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting new seedlings

Started by oscar4749, February 16, 2015, 04:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar4749

I would to plant some new seedlings where some trees blew down. My problem is how to keep the deer from eating them.
It will be to many to cage each one , does anyone have any ideas? The area would also be to big to fence with 6 ft. fence.
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

beenthere

What species of seedlings are you talking about?

I rescued about 1800 red oak seedlings from the deer by spending the time to staple a small paper popcorn sack over the terminal bud one winter.
Three results: one being the deer didn't bother them, the wind didn't blow them off, and they survived the rain.
I was almost too late removing them in early spring as the sacks acted a bit like a hothouse and the buds started breaking open when I checked them. Removed the sacks, and only used them the one year. 
Don't think it would have so easy to put them on my white pine seedlings, but I just let the deer chew on them.

The popcorn sacks were not expensive, and the paper stapler worked well and didn't take too long to put the sack on (one per tree). Several of these trees already had deer damage from browsing, but letting them get a bit of a head start seemed to pay off.

These same trees today with most of the spruce removed. About 6' spacing in rows 10' apart.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oscar4749

I would like to plant different kinds of seedlings. There is about 3 acres that I would scatter seedlings in.
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

pine

I use a Tree Pro tube that is available in different lengths 12 inch to 72 inches for my plantings due to heavy browse the first year and due to rodent problems cutting the stems.  Cost is less than replacing the seedling due to damage.
Picture  1 year post planting

treeslayer2003

we use the tubes here as well. they don't seem to bother lobloly or tulip poplar much.

beenthere

I planted 300 red oak seedlings in the tubes one year in the woods and they never made it... not a one.
Not exactly sure what the problem was, but don't think the deer got to them. That was an expensive venture.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!