iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know it's cold when:

Started by Oliver05262, February 16, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver05262

You know it's cold when your John Deere Winter Formula Fuel Protect additive won't pour out of the bottle. Had to warm it up to put it in the tank before I fueled up this morning.
  It makes you wonder how it is supposed to work???????????
  I run about 25% kerosene in this weather, too.
  -15 degrees on the porch this morning, and I'm not gonna try to get a whole lot done today. Supposed to be a high in the single numbers and windy today. Good day to get maintenance done in the shop, and maybe a little paperwork caught up.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

jmouton

ya  it was -10 here around detroit  this morning   not alot getting done here either ,   just some paper work  ,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

square1

Had the jumper cables and the 50,000 BTU salamander on the tractor for nearly 3 hours before she would finally spin up fast enough to fire.  Next year  I swear it's going to have a block heater installed!

Southside

Had a white bottle of Power Service do that to me once in Wyoming when it was -36 before the wind chill. Looked like Lucas.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Quote from: square1 on February 16, 2015, 12:23:12 PM
Had the jumper cables and the 50,000 BTU salamander on the tractor for nearly 3 hours before she would finally spin up fast enough to fire.  Next year  I swear it's going to have a block heater installed!

What tractor is it? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

-when you are assembling machine fit parts, that call out for chilling one piece with dry ice, and heating the other with a heat lamp, and all you do to chill the one piece is stick it outside for an hour!  I did that a lot when I was overhauling helicopter components, it would be -50F and lower in the dead of winter, was so cold you could take a cup of hot water, throw it in the air, and it would vaporize fire_smiley
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dustintheblood

You know it's cold when the kids put a woodstove in their snowfort !!!

no really... they did  8) 8)
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

square1

Quote from: beenthere on February 16, 2015, 12:52:11 PM
What tractor is it?

Ford 1700 4x4 25 HP Diesel
She starts pretty good using the glow plugs down into the mid/lower teens, but hit single digits or below zero like the last couple nights here and she gets a bit cantankerous.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

@square1,my wife's tractor has one of the last NH style with the fuel tank by the dashboard. We keep the tractor in the garage. I plug in the heater and lay some carpet on the sides and the top of the motor when it's real cold. This way the warmth stays in and keeps the fuel warm too. But when it's warm,20° about an hour will make it start like the 4th of July. I feel those heaters are a big help on the motor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lopet

Haa, and this is coming from  New Zealand !

Sunday morning the wife asked why is the house so cold. I said, furnace probably  looking for some fuel.  ;D
It was - 37 with the wind chill.
Never burned that much wood in one day.  Also had the heaters going in the shop all day long to keep things from freezing.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

dustintheblood

Just got my tractor back from a new hydraulic pump install, as well as new loader linkages and lights.... ready to log again.

wait a minute... tooooo dannnnggg cold!

Seems like we might as well just keep the woodstove and outdoor wood boiler doors open and just keep throwing in the wood.  We're going thru biomass faster that I can say "double double"!!

The end is near though.  Warming up soon, and then the sap starts to run.  It's also when I get to find those logs laid out across the south fields under a mountain of snow   ;D ;D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Ed_K

Block heater + heat tape wrapped around the bottom radiator hose, tarp over and hanging down to the ground and left them on all night. Finally got it running at 1pm today but got the yard opened up for more on sat-sun  :( .
Ed K

Autocar

Ed K my hat's off to you, you must have alot of patience If I don't plug in my skidder it is a losing battle to start on days like we have been having. I would like just once to get to the job and start the equipment let it warm up and go to work instead I run my generator for a hour then refill with fuel and run another hour before I get it started by then my [ what little patience I have ] is short lived. I like to log in cold weather but this past winter and this winter I am pretty well sick of it. 
Bill

snowstorm

the weather guy on the news just said this has been the coldest february on record in bangor me. driving across the bridge in belfast today i see quite a lot of ice in the harbor. it has to be pretty cold for saltwater to freeze. when i was a kid i head stories of back in the 20's of cars driving to ilseborro . they toke some planks with them to bridge some of the cracks in the ice. its a 4to5 mile trip depending on where they started from. they were brave the water is over 100ft deep

Thank You Sponsors!