iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Should we or shouldnt we?

Started by Pete J, August 14, 2004, 02:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Hey Arky

Yea there would be heck to pay . They would probably try to feed us big heaping bowls of GRITS    :o   A sign posted  would probably say  " Sorry We Run Outa  The Pig You Came To Eat But Here Is Some Pig Before It Becomes Pig  "        :D

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

ARKANSAWYER

You's right Hillbilly and that pig would have grown up on grits here.   Did you know that if you let grits set up in a pan (that does not happen very often around here) you can slice them out and cover with butter and honey and eat it like toast?
   Jeff,  Are we going to have to dig up the front yard again?  I need to know so I can make travel plans.  Wife says I can not come alone any more since LBJ can not keep me out of trouble.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Arky tell her the count down has begun!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Mary says her mom, in a time long ago up north, would make what we call GRITS and put them in a bread pan and let them set.  When they got stiff enough to slice like bread, she'd do it and then fry the slices in fat in the skillet.

I've re-GRITed not having the chance to try that. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sprucebunny

Bibbyman-That sounds kinda like that new-fangled polenta stuff that Italians have been making outta yellow corn forever.
Jeff -Ya think a 5 gallon pail of ketchup will take care of that bbq you planning at Bro. Noble's? ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

dave7191

we always had grits fryed at home Dad liked grits about any way but they allway made enough to put in a small square bread pan and let it soild up  of corse my step dad came from the town the cedar man is from

WV_hillbilly

Glad I was right about something Arky.  I really shouldn't get on the non grits eatin band wagon . I tried them twice and don't think the were fixed properly . That  taste test was in NC so I don't think it was a northerner cooking them . I'd be willing to try them again  though.  I know up here we have some great corn fed deer and Angus beef to eat so those pigs would have to be good eatin too.
Hillbilly

Bro. Noble

Bibb,

Is Mary from Ellynoise? ----seems like you said she was.  Well my wife came from there and they were all the time eating 'corn meal mush'  that sounds like what Marys Mom fixed.

Funny how these Yankees don't like grits but like fried corn meal mush :D :D

By the way,  anytime a FF member is in this area,  we'll have a regional FF meeting.  You'ns is always welcome :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Funny you should mention that, Noble. ;D  We be taking a little trip in November, for the biennial reunion of my Army buddies. This time it will be in Ft Worth, Tx. Our plan is to make one leg of the trip, either going or coming back, more or less direct, or what we'll call the southern route. On the other leg, we're hoping to circle to the north, through Arkansas and Missouri. We'd really like to stop by and get a closer look at you and Arkey along that part of the trip, and we might even range far enough to see Bibby & Mary. Not sure whether we will drop in on cktate on the north or south route, but we will drop in whether he likes it or not. ;D  Just wanted to give everybody a heads-up.  Reunion will be Veteran's Day weekend. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Bro_Noble
Sounds familiar. I was raised up in central Iowa and we used to have corn meal mush a lot. Set up in a pan, sliced, and fried as you describe, with syrup poured over it. Alternated with pancakes at breakfast time. It was good. Sure don't remember anything about 'grits' though  ::)

The countdown is counting, and I am at the moment not sure where it will be. To be decided yet?  Click on the "Only 342 days....." to the left and takes one back to the 2004 thread. But I can be patient. Read a sign today "Patience is a virtue that carries a lot of wait".  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Mary was born in Mary-land (where else ???).  But she grew up (mostly ;D) on a farm just south of the Wisconsin border.

She's pretty much grown out of her Yankie upbringings. ;)  I had to learn her how to talk all over again..
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Bib, start planning on Michigan. As you can see, everyone that came, wants to come back. Only those that didnt propose a new place. Dont that make ya just a bit curious on what you might be missing?

I am glad this thread is on this line again. For a bit it had made a dreadful turn, but being one that will walk on the edge once in awhile I venture to say that Tom fed me fried in bacon grease, coagulated grits, and I liked em.

EEK!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

QuoteI am glad this thread is on this line again. For a bit it had made a dreadful turn, but being one that will walk on the edge once in awhile I venture to say that Tom fed me fried in bacon grease, coagulated grits, and I liked em.

EEK!

Please don't tell us you have foresaken yur fried taters fur dat coagulated southern stuff.  ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Here's some perrogies stuffed with taters and cheese, that outta fight off them greesy grits. :D :D

ps. I hate perrogies, bleck  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Those Grits are good stuff, Chet.  You just have to figure out how they taste best to you.  :D

I-I-I---I---I   Like'em!

You can carry enough in your front pocket to live on a week.  All you need is some water, salt, a pot  and fire. They swell up to where  a cup of grits'll feed 6 people........ .....or 2 Southerners. :D

Thank You Sponsors!