iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw choice narrowed down

Started by agraup, February 15, 2015, 12:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agraup

New to the site and glad to be here.  One of the best sites I've seen with regards to quality member feedback.

I've been using my ms270 (16" bar) for probably over 10 years.  It's an awesome saw and has not given me any trouble at all.  I'm looking to get a bigger saw for some of the bigger trees in my area in the foothills north and northwest of Calgary Alberta.  Most of my cutting will be done in elevations 1000ft to 3500ft. Elevations won't vary more than that.  I cut 10 to 12 cords per year of poplar, spruce and pine.  I will be moving at some point in the near future from the city to a forested 160 acre parcel where I will clean up and cut wood to heat the house in the winter.

Here's the dilemma:

I've narrowed down my choices to the ms441cm or the ms461.  I would run a 24" bar.  What really has me guessing is the addition of the Mtronic on the 441. From the posts I've read on this forum people mention it but I would like to know if they would want it on a saw if they were to get a new one.  Are there more problems with it than without it?  I'm old school and need to evaluate whether the Mtronic is a necessary option.  The 461 comes without the mtronic so I consider it an older school model (like my 270) and I guess that's why I'm leaning more to that choice.  I don't want to make a choice based on past comfort feelings.  I like the added power with the 461.

So, Mtronic or not to Mtronic is the question.  Any feedback would be welcome. 

Congrats on a quality site guys.  When it comes to most forums; quality is not the norm.

pabst79

Welcome, I can't say to the mtronic, my stuff is old  :D. Given the option I would go with the 461, a little extra power is always a good thing IMO.  ;)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

fordf150

mtronic is nice but choosing between a 441 and 461 i would take the 461. not much difference in price, not much difference in size or weight, big difference in power and ease of working on it.

441 and 461 are listed as the same weight
461 has .4hp more than a 441
in the US the price difference is less than $100...441 is $979...461 is $1059 i think

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, agraup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andyshine77

Welcome!! 8)

Both are fine saws, I have quite a bit of experience with the 441, and a little with the 461, which is really an overhauled 460.

441 Pros. Smooth!!, great fuel economy. The filter has a pre separator, so it will stay clean longer. In day to day use the Mtronic system is a plus, especially if you don't have carb tuning skills, and you have to have them working in different elevations.

Cons. Heavy for it's power/displacement, being a strato saw it has a more complicated intake and linkage setup. Price and weight is real close to the 461, but without the power. Some want a manually adjustable carb. Bar oiler is a bit anemic.

461 Pros. Great power to weight, simple design, good fuel economy, wide power band, and it's close in price to the 441.

Cons. Old school rubber AV mounts, no Mtronic, bar oiler is a bit anemic, the price is a bit too high like most Stihl saws these days, and it's a little more expensive than the slightly larger more powerful 390xp. That's about all I can think of.

Andre.

luvmexfood

Don't know the CC's of the saws you listed but take a look at an Echo 590. At about $399 USD it is a heck of a saw. 5 year consumer warranty. I have cut a couple of HARD maples that were around 36 inches at the butt and had them on the ground before you knew it.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I run a 460 or a 461 most days at work. Great saw with plenty of power for a 25" bar. Maintenance-free since we picked up two of the 461s about 18 months ago.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!