iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ian's Nearly New Nail Emporium

Started by Ianab, February 15, 2015, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A new business venture maybe  :D

I was given a stash of old reclaimed wood, mostly Rimu. All sorts of stuff.

With all sorts of assorted hardware attached and embedded.  ::)

Some time with various persuaders...

And I've got this tub of goodness.

Oh, and this stack of recycled lumber.

This is one of the boards that still had nice varnish on it. So you can see the grain and colour of the wood properly. It's a very nice furniture timber, although it's a softwood, you wouldn't know, especially by the way it clings to old nails  :D

So that's how my day has been spend..  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Wow, good job.  I am almost in competition with you on my Cabin Addition project.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Pretty wood. I'm looking forward to see some of the rest of it once you get it cleaned up.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't think I've ever seen a head on a nail like those.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

Ian, my granddad had several coffee cans full of bent nails. I used to think it was silly but he and I used to sit and hammer them straight and talk. I noticed that I also have a collection of the same. it made me think about the lesson he was teaching me about not being wasteful. I just posted about this on facebook the other day and learned that my great grandpa had a small side business during the depression of straightening nails and selling them. it may be something to think about if the economy doesn't turn around  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Reckon I should straighten these??

That guy that built my Cabin had an air nailer.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farmer Jim

Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 15, 2015, 09:55:16 PM
Ian, my granddad had several coffee cans full of bent nails. I used to think it was silly but he and I used to sit and hammer them straight and talk. I noticed that I also have a collection of the same. it made me think about the lesson he was teaching me about not being wasteful. I just posted about this on facebook the other day and learned that my great grandpa had a small side business during the depression of straightening nails and selling them. it may be something to think about if the economy doesn't turn around  :D

Growing up my Dad had me pull and straighten nails.  He grew up in the 30s and passed on the waste not want not.  A penny saved is still a penny earned.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

jueston

Quote from: Farmer Jim on February 19, 2015, 08:32:00 AM
Growing up my Dad had me pull and straighten nails.  He grew up in the 30s and passed on the waste not want not.  A penny saved is still a penny earned.

depending on your tax bracket, a penny saved might actually be a penny a half earned.... if you take into account all the taxes including the ones your employer pays on income and payroll, your penny saved might be as much 2 or 3 pennies earned...  :) ;) :D

DeerMeadowFarm

My friend's father used to work maintainance at a local college. He'd bring home all sorts of stuff thet they were throwing out. Me and my buddy used to pull and straighten nails for hours at a time.

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2015, 10:19:22 PM
Reckon I should straighten these??
That guy that built my Cabin had an air nailer.   :-\

Magicman, yes, you should probably straighten them, but there ain't no way anybody, I don't care what they have, that can nail air!!! :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

starbits

When my daughters were 5 and 7 they found a bunch of old rusty nails I had in a can.  They decided they would sell them and put the can at the end of the driveway with a sign they made offering nails for a donation.   I was surprised when a good Samaritan left them a few dollars for the nails.  The girls were thrilled.   Good memories, the youngest one turns 20 next saturday.

Starbits

Thank You Sponsors!