iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Black Walnut

Started by flatrock58, February 14, 2015, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

A friend from church had a black walnut he wanted to cut on halves.  Got started today on a couple small pieces.  The bigger pieces might be a challenge. 

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

flatrock58

Southside logger

Unfortunately he cut it about 9-10 months ago before I had my WM.  He has moved it around a few time stripping most of the bark.  I don't think the tree was in good shape to begin with, but there still looks to be some decent wood.  I am a hobby sawyer for now so I am just cutting what I can get and will be using a lot for myself.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

beenthere

I'd believe 9-10 years, but not months by the way it looks.  ;D
But walnut holds up pretty well.
Enjoy the sawing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

The lumber looks good from what I can see.  I have a walnut, maybe 12" or so here that fell over onto an old fence years ago.  The crown kept the stem from ever hitting the ground and the rootball is still partially in the ground.  The bark is tight to the tree as it can be, also have a big red oak, clean stem 24" or so, down back that did the same thing, never had the heart to turn them into firewood thinking one day I will have a mill so I always just walked by them and keep an eye on them to see how they look.  Both of those stems days are growing short.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

flatrock58

The tree was dying when he cut it so not the best of trees, but I think I will be able to get some good wood.  Wish he had painted the ends to stop it from cracking.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!