iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting carb

Started by vinc5d, February 14, 2015, 10:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinc5d

I have gotten my second saw a while back about sept, I think I posted about it? anyways its a Echo cs590 Timberwolf, runs great cuts way better then my Poulan, today though my dad and I headed out and did a bit of logging, we loaded the old ford L9000 up. I took the echo and I cut all the logs to length, but this is my first time running a saw in the winter and I noticed it started right up but would stall and stay on low idle  wouldn't high idle so let it warm up and it ran fine idled good but once I started cutting I noticed it "fourstoked" real easy and lacked a bit of top end power. it was about -10 -15 or something? I have never adjusted the carb before so I am not quite sure how to go about it? or how far to adjust it for winter temps, I do have the winter shutter on if that makes any difference?

vinc5d   
Echo Timberwolf 590, poulan 3314

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. Those saws are set up lean out of the box for minimum emissions. If you can, enrichen the high speed a bit, you might have to get creative to access the screw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

luvmexfood

On the saw, it is hard to see, with the bar facing away from you and at the right rear of the front plastic cover you will see a little symbol that looks like a snowflake on oneside and sun on the other side.

Just below this symbol will be a little black tab, you may need to take the aircleaner cover off to find it, this tab slides left or right to correspond with the above mentioned symbol. It is not really explained well in the owners manual but I guess it is there for a reason. I slid mine over. Can't really tell much difference. It is shown on the bottom of page 21 of the owners manual that came with my saw.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

JohnG28

Check out Madsen's site on tuning saws, great resource.  I'd move the shutter over to the winter setting as well.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

vinc5d

Thanks for the help so far I am going to block a little bit of wood after lunch, so I will have a play with it then! I have already set my shutter in October, I honestly haven't seen a difference in running.

Echo Timberwolf 590, poulan 3314

Thank You Sponsors!