iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer FWD/REV drum switch ???

Started by jcbrotz, February 14, 2015, 01:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz

I ordered the new drum switch for the FWD/REV and the new one rotated past the stop for reverse, I called woodmizer and told them they sent me a new switch and it does the same darn thing. So I gotta ask when did this start happening? I am on my 3-4th switch over the years and never had one do this. Is it just the new way the switches work or did I get 2 bad ones. I will prolly just weld a tab for a stop on the new one but am wondering how long they have been this way or if they are supposed to be this way I can find no differences with the old or new one except the contacts on the old one are shot. I will call woodmizer again Monday but was wondering if anybody else ran into this.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry, no but now I"m thinking I'd better look at the backup one I have in the truck.  Not something I'd inspect out of the box and then what happens if I discover it several years from now.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jcbrotz

It is my spare I was just to lazy to go to the truck and get the other one. That one is correct or at least it stops. I am a bit worried what the contacts may do with the voltage when the switch goes over the reverse stop as the contacts do close and I have not take the time to find out what they do when this happens.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

drobertson

I've only had one go out, the tab broke, it's a square-D switch if I remember right,  I often though these tangs should be replaceable, but they are not.  I do know a good solid bigger paper clip can get you by in a pinch, if the contact is not being made.  As to the over rotation, I never have seen that one. It sound like, just thinking aloud, that a tab stop may be not right, which could be corrected maybe with a good pair of pliers.   Head scratcher from this end not seeing it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MartyParsons

Hello,
I think you will find that the switch will turn around the drum. The handle is what keeps the drum in sync. Some forget the install the little washers on the mounting screws behind the handle. This helps the screw contact the switch handle. Look at the handle and you can see where the Handel screws.
I could be incorrect in reading your description, but I think this is what you are talking about.
I would take a picture but I am out of town until Wednesday.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jim H

I've had the stops in the back of the handle break before, and it will do what you describe. When I didn't have a new handle I just filled the small void in the back of the handle with JB weld. Also save your old switch, you can drill out the rivet that holds the contact on and replace a broken one using the terminal screw to hold it in place. The small centering spring at the bottom of the switch breaks occasionally and can also be pulled from a worn out switch.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

jcbrotz

DOH, that's what I get for checking it before installing it. My spare in the truck had the screws in the case installed (Youngest son helps by putting everything together) and the one out of the box didn't. I never realized the handle made the positive stop I just knew it stopped, no wonder I couldn't find any differences with the switches. Good news is I am still alive I learned something again today. :D now I gots two spares no sense in shipping the non broken one back to woodmizer.

Thank You Sponsors!