iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my 441 today :)

Started by weider1717, February 13, 2015, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weider1717

Picked up my new still 441 cm today. Got a great deal on it I paid $776 plus tax came to $812.

however, I had them put a 20" bar on it and yellow chain but they brought it out with an E bar as they was out of ES bar's.

came on decided I wanted a full pro ES bar on it bought one at another dealer $60 and had them take back the E bar..

WELL they would only give me store credit as they say still sells them with bars and they didn't know what else to do so I said well the E bar was $45 they said and a still case was also $45..

I said take the E bar back put this ES bar on it and give me the case for my $45 credit..thought as was well.

got home the saw don't fit in the case! looked online thats the only case they make. You can FORCE it which makes the case warp at the hinge a little which I didn't want to do so I guess i'm out of $45 for nothing.

kinda bummed about that but can't wait to use the saw  8)

terrifictimbersllc

Always something. Maybe can you loosen the chain some (back off the bar)?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

weider1717

Seems to be the chain brake handle keeping it from fitting. you can push the handle forward and force it shut but I can see that warping the hinge on the case and messing it up long term.

I will give the case to my dad for his saw. Just bummed about it because I take care of my stuff I wanted a case for it I can see it rolling around in the bed of my truck out on the farm not in a case and getting scuffed up.

true it's a tool and a chainsaw but I try to really take care of my things.

WV Sawmiller

Weider,

I bought one last week. My 440 I had for years finally died. You got a lot better deal that I did. I think I paid $1069 for the saw with a 25" bar and an extra chain. I think list price was $969 or so. The longer bar was $10 more and that confused the dealer's helper (He wanted to charge me full price for the bar and chains separately) but the owner was there and we got it straight. Stihl calls their bar a 25" but Oregon and others make the same bar and call it a 24". Both listings use 84 links. I still have my old 440 with a 20" bar so if I change my mind I will take the new bar off and put the old 20" bar on. The biggest thing I have cut so far was about a 17"-18" locust for corners of a pole barn I need to build. It did fine for that. I may try it our on a 28" or so poplar. I still have some white oak that Sandy got over 2 years ago. It is over 40" so I had cut all I could get with my 20" bar. I can get the rest of it now.

Enjoy and be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

weider
Congrats on the 441   8)

For the pickup, maybe make a wood scabbard that the saw bar will slide into and the saw will have support to keep it stable in the PU. I use one (actually two) on my tractor and they are really handy. Slide out of the scabbard and ready to go. Couple pieces of plywood separated by some wood strips will hold the bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

You should have got it with a 24/25" bar at the point of sale and bought the 20" later, you'd be way ahead on cost. Think it's a $10 difference to go up a bar size when buying new, but that same bar will be ~$100 later on. Congrats on the saw though.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Magicman

If the case is double walled (mine is) some inside trimming might make it fit. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weider1717

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 14, 2015, 08:51:24 AM
You should have got it with a 24/25" bar at the point of sale and bought the 20" later, you'd be way ahead on cost. Think it's a $10 difference to go up a bar size when buying new, but that same bar will be ~$100 later on. Congrats on the saw though.  :)

I messed up a little on that I agree. They got me a little on the bar because I told them 20" and they said ok msrp for hat is $959 then I got my discounts etc off that but they brought out an E bar not an ES bar I think that 959 msrp is for the 20" ES bar..

BTW price was 974 with the 25" es bar on it and I paid 959 plus all the discounting so is was more like 15 difference had i kept the 25.

but yes wish I had gone that route.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: weider1717 on February 14, 2015, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: JohnG28 on February 14, 2015, 08:51:24 AM

I messed up a little on that I agree. They got me a little on the bar because I told them 20" and they said ok msrp for hat is $959 then I got my discounts etc off that but they brought out an E bar not an ES bar I think that 959 msrp is for the 20" ES bar..

BTW price was 974 with the 25" es bar on it and I paid 959 plus all the discounting so is was more like 15 difference had i kept the 25.

but yes wish I had gone that route.
Longer chain adds a few bucks to the consideration too.  Wishing i had priced my new 880 with the 59" bar from the dealer, instead of the 30", now that I'm fixin' to get the 59 separately.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

Those funky plastic cases are for consumer saws, real loggers don't use 'em. :D I don't like them, the saw, spare chain, scrench  sit in a pool of chain oil. I have seen boxes built with a removeable screen over a metal floor, keeps everything clean and the box is easily wiped out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnG28

Unless you're logging with the saw daily for a long time you won't wear out an E bar, but if you had to get the ES then least you got what you wanted. I've found solid steel bars a lot cheaper than the ones from Stihl and they have lasted great. I have a 20" and a 24" Windsor Pro Tip bar for the 460 that have been been very good IMO. The E bar on my 361 the last 5 years is still in good shape too, most paint still there even.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Tree Dan

I agree, don't worry about the case...make your own...there lots of wood around.
When I bought my 880 the dealer told me ahead of time that if I order the saw with the 60" bar and buy the smaller bars seperate...it would be less Cash.
Anyway you got a nice saw there.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!