iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's cold!!!

Started by DDDfarmer, February 12, 2015, 09:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDDfarmer

Went to go to work this morning -32C outside.  Same routine every time, start the truck, over to the stove( which heats the three homes), stroke the fire and fill with enough wood to last the day.  Back to the truck and realize I forgot something in the house, walking back to the truck I can see the smoke pouring out the chimney so ok everything is good there.  Off to work I go....

Back home late in the afternoon and I see my 94 year old gramps is at the stove and no smoke.  He has some of the wood I threw in the stove earlier out on the ground barely any smoke marks on them.  The daytime high today was only -22C and wind chill down to -36C.  So start the fire again.  Head into the house and ....... front door was open 1" kids didn't pull it tight when the went to school.  House was 12*C.  Layer up and back to the stove and it was out again.  Fire the stove again, out to feed the cattle, look back no smoke.  fire it up again, have supper still no heat, fire out again.   fire it up again.

I think its finally going, little bit of heat coming from the register. Just checked its -32*C outside again feels like -40.  Don't want to go out again, I'm cold now lol. 

How come the fire never goes out on the warm days?

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

clww

How come it keeps going out? What are you burning?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

r.man

Some days the wood just doesn't want to burn. Last week mine sounded like a torch almost every time I was into it, the last two days it just won't burn hot. Add to that the tendency of mine to bridge and you get some cool inside days. Only suppose to get to -28 C tonight where I am.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DDDfarmer

Burning a mix of tamarac, birch popular. I'll admit the ashpan was right full but no reason to go out.  Dad's having the same problem and heard of a few other people having troubles.  Maybe the 85-90% humidity we are having?  That is unusual for our area, this time of year should be a lot lower.  Burnt a lot of wood today.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

r.man

DDD, how long have you had the stove and what make is it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DDDfarmer

Same as yours r.man  outhouse stove but the firebox was completely rebuilt 2 years ago. Guess after using it for 18 or so years with no problems it was due for a facelift. 

Thewoodman

Stinking bloody hot here.......   8)
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Thank You Sponsors!