iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying THICK high-grade Black Walnut

Started by steveST, August 25, 2004, 06:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I have some EXCELLENT, wide, thick walnut material that I need to dry. Most of it is crotch material and is 2-3.5 inches thick and is very green.

Not able to replace this material and it's the best I've ever seen. So, quality and end result is FAR more important than time.

I've heard of some people coating the faces of the material instead of the ends to promote less cracking of the crotches (delamination).

Any suggestions for success in drying this? Any tips or experience would be welcomed!

Have Northland kiln. I can control heat and vent.

Thanks.

steveST

Come on...some one HAS to have experience at this?
Anyone ever use Wood Juice (Pentacryl)?
Thanks.

Norm

Steve I hesitated to say anything as I air dry mine and it takes at least a year to get them down to 12%. I have tried using anchorseal to slow down the drying rate and still get some checking in the feather grain. I wonder how a vac kiln would work for doing these thick pieces. Maybe Den has tried it.

Den Socling

Black Walnut doesn't crack or honeycomb in our vac kilns but that does zero good for you. All you can do is go slow. If you have a little kiln, it's a lot easier to control conditions than when you are air drying. I haven't had any time for reading but I took a quick look at a kiln for bowls. Al supplied the link in another post. That would probably be you best bet.

steveST

Den,

I agree about the kilns conditions being controlled...seems to make a better drying environment than mother nature.

So, I was thinking about putting it in my kiln but I figure it would take about 45-50 days to dry at a rate in which I think would be correct. (2% per day).

I wanted to air-dry the free water out of it first, then put it in there. I am not sure how long that might take.

That Pentacryl/Wood Juice product seems promising. Anyone try it?

Den Socling

Actually, I do get some checks with my vac kilns. Here is a knot that cracked. Although, it might have been cracked before it went in.

This was cut off the butt end of a flitch that was too long for my chamber. The flitches were about 2.25" thick and up to 20" wide. It took 7 days to dry the flitches. I'm not sure when this piece became dry but I'm sure it was dry before the flitches.

serg

http: // www.aleshin.com/rus/portfolio/block%20p ost/5.htm the Nut, thickness of 90 mm width 200 residual humidity of 6 % from 62 %. Bullets, splinters, holes after war. >:( Drying vacuum my technology. An exhibition in Hannover.

serg

Den, hi! Good drying what was initial humidity?

steveST

http://www.aleshin.com/rus/portfolio/block%20post/5.htm

This is the link repaired...there were some spaces and such in it that did not work.
That's some mighty thick stock? What are they? Benches?

Condolences to you and your comrades regarding those airline disasters! That %!%@* terrorists know no bounds!

serg

Caucasus a wild nut. I have dried up in the vacuum furnace. In figure it is visible that at drying breaks have remained on a place, it only at a soft mode. The temperature was 65 degrees. Preparation thick 90 mm. Width of 350-550 mm. Initial humidity of 62 %. Vacuum drying gives quality, quickly. The minimal monetary expenses. My God! Terrorists have reached small children! Men malicious >:(, women mourn over victims :'(. The love and friendship will rescue people!! ???

Den Socling

Sergey,

I'm just now reading this post. As usual, it's difficult for me to understand what you are trying to say except for the part about the terrorist. That was a terrible ordeal at that school. I can't imagine how people could be so cruel. How could anybody be so full of hate that they would be willing to explode a school full of innocent children? I'm very sorry for all of the victims.

Den

serg

Thank Den, and to all American people for the condolence. We were far from each other (Lenin, Stalin) now I can not believe for that that I communicate with you am FREEDOM!! Sergey. Excuse that I on a forum have told about it.

Thank You Sponsors!