iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gluing a puzzle down

Started by Qweaver, February 11, 2015, 08:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We'd like to permanently mount a completed puzzle onto plywood.  I considered contact cement.  But how would  I coat the back of the puzzle?   How about a heat activated glue?  I know nothing about these. 
Forget it.  GOOGLE solved it.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

I've done that a couple times,but never on plywood. I went to a craft store and put some sort of special glue on it. This would be the picture side. Than I mounted it to a piece of cardboard to mount.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

So Qweaver,  what did you find? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

40 years ago, I made a huge puzzle that took months to put together.  It was about 3' by 5' or so.  We placed in on a sheet of plywood and there was a special spray that you sprayed the puzzle and made it stick to the plywood.  We then hung it on the wall.  So there must be a special spray out there that will make the puzzle stick to the plywood.  Knowing they make it  gets the problem 1/2 solved.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shinnlinger

Wife bought some special glue intended specifically for that purpose.  I will ask her how it works.   I think you brush it on surface and it dries clear but holds it together so you can then mount it. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jeff

Buy some stuff called Mod Podge at your local craft store.

Here is a puzzle I restored that hangs in our bathroom.

Restoring another logging themed collectible.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Remle

Wow, this is a day late. But the object appears to be to conserve it for your viewing pleasure hanging on a wall. It's only conserved by not gluing it to any thing, just put it into a picture frame as you would any picture. Just replace the paper backing with 1/4'" plywood, the glass and a plywood backing will keep it together.  If the frame comes with a mat border trim the inside of it to the picture dimensions.

Thank You Sponsors!