iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birch firewood

Started by Neil_B, August 25, 2004, 06:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

Hey everyone, I'm back posting again for now. Lots of crap going on right now but I'll talk about that later in the full member section.

One question I do need answered is about white birch firewood. I had a customer call and say they don't want any birch because it burns too hot and creosotes her chimney.
I've never heard of birch doing this and wondered if I should just give her money back for the remainder of wood that I owe her or tell her that the info she is getting is unreliable.

I'm already giving her a good deal as she takes 12" stuff so I worked it that she gets all the 12" end cuts at a reduced rate per cord. I can't start sorting out the birch for her as well. She's getting about a 50% mix of birch and good hardwood already as that's about all I can get around here right now for logs.

Help me set her straight!!
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

beenthere

First, the comments 'burns too hot" and "creosotes the chimney" don't fit together. Either/or, but not at the same time.

How much time does the split birch dry before she is burning it?  Have you tested how dry the wood is that she is burning? The moisture content of the wood will tell the most about any creosote problems relating to the wood itself. IF dry (under 15%), then the problem is the stove she is burning the wood in, IMO. If higher moisture content, then the creosote problem may be both, wood and stove.

In this area, there is a fellow who supplies nothing but white birch to the Chicago firewood market, and if he puts anything in but birch, he gets complaints.

You may have the least headache just 'buying' this one out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Neil_B

I think you are correct beenthere. One, she does have an older stove. Two, I believe she is piling the wood right into the basement shortly after it's delivered green. She apparently puts a dehumidifier in with the wood but I don't imagine she is getting any airflow through the pile.

I too was questioning her comment on "burns too hot". I always thought that it either reduces the amount of creosote or burns it off. I think a lot of it is someone is feeding her a bunch of u know what!
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

MemphisLogger

Birch and soft maple both burn quick and clean when dry--that's why sububanites like it for their fireplaces.  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Woodcarver

We've heated our home with wood for 30 years. My wife's family have never used anything but  wood as a heat source.  We all agree that dry wood burned hot does not produce creosote. Dry wood can produce some creosote if allowed to smolder in a stove that lacks the proper draft. Far more often, though, the problem is caused by burning green wet wood.

I think you have a confused customer.

Woodcarver        
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Brian_Bailey

It's my understanding that if the stack (chimney) temp. drops below 200* F. you'll get creosoting no matter what kind of wood you're burning.

I agree with beenthere, "burns to hot and creosote" don't fit together. :)
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

iain

birch can soot up real quick if its to wet to get hot maybe its the soot catching that she thinks is to hot?
      iain

Neil_B

Thanks for confirming my suspicions guys. I will talk to her this week and let her decide if she wants anymore from me. I know for a fact though, she isn't going to get it for the same price or cheaper than I'm selling to her.

SwampDonkey

I concur with the guys on this one. Although I don't burn white birch, some winters I burn about 25 % yellow birch and its just as roasty warm in here as if I had the furnace stuffed with beech. :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

I always took it as gospel that you shouldn't burn white birch in a woodstove or other fireplace that you don't want the creosote buildup.  My father has always avoided white birch for that reason, although he will burn it in his fireplace.  I've never found any evidence that he's right about the stuff, but it hasn't bothered me either.

I'm putting in an outdoor wood boiler for my new house, either a Heatmor or Central Boiler, and I'll be burning anything I can get my hands on.  Pine slabwood, white birch, branches, tops, chunks, pallets, failed woodworking projects, tires.... (well maybe not tires)  :D  Dad's got lots of white birch around, and since he doesn't want them, I do.

ADfields

I burn 6 to 8 cord of mostly White Birch every winter and never had a creosote problem at all.   It burns hot but I have a good air tight stove and I can put it out all the way by shutting off the air to it or adjust it for the temp I want.   I love it as a fire wood, it burns hot ;D has very little soot  ;) and almost no ash to pack off. 8)
Andy

rebocardo

I love Birch, best thing is if it is dry you do not need any fire starters, it will burn by itself when the bark gets lit.

Thank You Sponsors!