iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bumply Water Oak?

Started by DanG, February 10, 2015, 03:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

While I was helping a friend pick out some firewood trees on his place the other day, we ran across this strange specimen.  It is nekkid(might be why it has gooseflesh) but all of the leaves around it are definitely water oak.  It is about 9 or 10" DBH.

The bumps look typical of the bark material of the really rough-barked oaks, like Live Oak, and the spaces in between are typical of a smooth-barked, juvenile Water Oak.  The bumps cover the whole trunk as far up as I could tell, and extend all the way around it.  I don't recall ever seeing one like this, but I may not have been paying attention.  What say ye ex spurts?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

DanG, DanG, looks like it has a Hackberry Girlfriend.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

:D  Lynn, when I was in high school we had a janitor that had bark like that.  I always wondered what kind of girlfriend he had. :D :D

I wouldn't know a hackberry if you whipped my britches with one.  I really need to get out more. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Does have a hackberry look to the bark, but have not noticed one where it is that pronounced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_occidentalis
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

It doesn't look much like the hackberry in the link, BT.  Those warty looking bits are randomly scattered.  There are no hackberryish leaves around, either, just water oak leaves.

beenthere

Right, and I don't think it is hackberry either.  Just somewhat of a look-a-like.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Sure looks like a hackberry....... ::)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

gfadvm

Sure looks like the Oklahoma hackberry I cut lots of.

DanG

Well I'll go back and see if I can find anything resembling a hackberry leaf around it.

LeeB

Could also be sugarberry which is basically the same tree and hard to tell apart.

Google Link
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Yes, 100% definite it is a Celtis.  Most likely a sugarberry in that part of the Country.  Hackberry and sugarberry are very difficult to tell apart, so it really does not matter.  Spiral grain and very difficult to dry straight.  In the elm family.  Wavy bands of pores in the latewood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Well I pulled up a bunch of hackberry pics and sure enough, I found some that match.  They must not be very common around here, cause I don't remember ever seeing one like this before.

mesquite buckeye

We have bunches of them at my MO farm. The wartiness is highly variable from tree to tree. ;D

The lumber is very pretty and mine have not moved all that much in drying. Less than elm. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Hemlock1984

Personally, I like the name "bumply water oak" better  ;)

Magicman

With a Hackberry Girlfriend.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The sugarberry in the bottomlands down here get really big.  3' to 4' in diameter. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

WDH, I saw a lot of standing dead hackberry and it behaves very well when drying. The green stuff: not so good so I let some green logs lay for 10 months before sawing and they not only spalted beautifully, but they didn't want to warp, cup, twist.....when drying. Have you made this observation with hackberry or other woods?

WDH

No, but it sure sounds worth a try.  Flat sawn spiral grain woods like sycamore, sweetgum, and hackberry/sugarberry have given me fits.  The q-sawn stuff does pretty good though, but it takes a big log to get decent quartersawn lumber from a width standpoint. 

Phorester

Hackberry used to be used for interior furniture parts and curved chair backs locally decades ago.  The wood is similar to ash in appearance .  Supposed to have  good qualities for bending.

LeeB

Quote from: Phorester on February 21, 2015, 09:02:28 PM

Hackberry used to be used for interior furniture parts and curved chair backs locally decades ago.  The wood is similar to ash in appearance . Supposed to have  good qualities for bending.

It certainly has an inherent desire to do so.  :D

WDH

Mine bends even without me wanting it to  :D. 

mesquite buckeye

I think you southern boys feed your hackberries too many grits, runny eggs and red beans. My MO hackberries are quite well behaved. smiley_lit_bulb smiley_smug01 smiley_lit_bulb

WDH

Spiral grain is what spiral grain does. 

mesquite buckeye

Seriously, I wonder if that doesn't vary with the population and growing conditions. Mine have been at least as well behaved as my red oaks. I've probably cut 4 or 5 trees and they all have been fine. All woods grown and straight as an arrow, usually 20-30 feet to the first branch. A lot of them have come in under oaks and hickories.

Thank You Sponsors!