iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It just

Started by HiTech, February 10, 2015, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

doesn't want to let up...winter! More snow on the way along with 4 days of sub zero temps. The snow underneath is mealy/sandy and it is hard to get traction in. I don't like to see the old skidder chattering to get through it. As hard as the main skid trail is it will probably stay froze till July. lol Ya just gotta love winter to stay here. lol

beenthere

Good snow depth usually pulls the frost out of the ground as the earth below is warm, and the snow insulates from above.  Brings the frost line closer to the top.

But the main trail will likely have deeper frost with no snow layer on top.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

um I don't think that works here in Sullivan co NY ;D there is about 18in of frost in the ground and 26in of snow  :D beenthere if you look up roscoe ny  it my say we are in the butt part of the world  :D :D :D

Forest Meister

You haven't lived until you have worked in the L. Superior snow belt. :o  Many years ago, just after moving to the shores of the Big Lake, I swear I had a vision............a giant toboggan with two of everything! 
"Any place this good, has to have weather this bad, for this long, just to keep the riffraff out."

ForestFox

I have been out working in this deep snow and it was marginal before the last foot of snow. Now it is marginally marginal. LOL My hitches get smaller, I winch more, my outer carhartt's are frozen and I broke my pinky toe the other day and didn't realize it till I came in at night. I thought it was a hang nail! LOL all black! All that being said I wouldn't trade my days in the woods for any other kind of work! Peaceful yet challenging.
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

HiTech

It is getting closer to waist deep snow. I know the stumps are getting higher. lol I was walking in the mid thigh snow yesterday and the next thing you know I was chest deep and couldn't move forward. I must have stepped in a hole. Had to back up and get another start. Just for one tree. lol A nice one though. lol I don't think anyone is setting production records in this stuff. It's just great to be outdoors and be able to do this stuff....so many can't. 99% of the people just can't imagine why we do what we do. Snowing here again today. No let up in sight. lol

Ed_K

And more on sat/sun and could be a big one on wed. I gave up it's just to deep for me to crawl thru  :( can't jump like the deer.
Ed K

lopet

Quote from: Ed_K on February 12, 2015, 10:47:30 AM
can't jump like the deer.

:D  :D

I guess I am not a true logger. I always find something else to do , when I don't like the conditions in the woods.
Done enough " wheel spinning " in my life time.  ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ken

The conventional skidder/powersaw guys here have really been impacted by the deep snow lately.   Many mills are also trying to build inventory for spring without the results they want.   Bring on the price increases. 8)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

in the feb northern logger mag it says when a tree hits the ground in maine there will be 2or3 woods buyers waiting to buy it

WH_Conley

We don't have any snow here. The mud on the other hand is like concrete. Parked the dozer for awhile. Either get it with the tractor or go to the house and put more wood in the stove.
Bill

HiTech

I have a bad feeling it will go from winter to summer. When all this snow goes the mud will be waist deep. lol Where the landing is the frost has to be deep and that will be a mess when thawing. The good side is maybe "Mud Season" won't last too long. If it warms up the way it has stayed cold it will dry up quickly. Only got a 1/3 to 1/2 the wood we need.

coxy

I love MUD you know why because I know its a hole hell of a lot warmer  :D :D :D

HiTech

Quote from: coxy on February 14, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
I love MUD you know why because I know its a hole hell of a lot warmer  :D :D :D
Ya. I know what you mean. lol

Maine logger88

Quote from: HiTech on February 14, 2015, 05:35:25 PM
Normally I would disagree but this winter is getting to me I am sick of the snow  ::) Also it hasn't been above freezing for a longgg time. -21 this morning 45 min with the block heater and the old Detroit still wouldn't fire another half hour and it started but wasn't happy about it. Once it was all warmed up I went in and my saw wouldn't start the pauls were frozen I had to put it behind the exhaust for a few min to thaw out then it was a lovly day of cutting and limbing trees in snow up to the you know what. Sorry for the rant guess I just gotta suck it up and keep going
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HiTech

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 14, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: HiTech on February 14, 2015, 05:35:25 PM
Normally I would disagree but this winter is getting to me I am sick of the snow  ::) Also it hasn't been above freezing for a longgg time. -21 this morning 45 min with the block heater and the old Detroit still wouldn't fire another half hour and it started but wasn't happy about it. Once it was all warmed up I went in and my saw wouldn't start the pauls were frozen I had to put it behind the exhaust for a few min to thaw out then it was a lovly day of cutting and limbing trees in snow up to the you know what. Sorry for the rant guess I just gotta suck it up and keep going
I hear ya on the snow to your who knows what. I don't think we have had a day above 32 degrees since December. The wood yards will probably be a little short come spring.

Maine logger88

Yup it gets old for sure. The storm just got downgraded so I'm in a better mood today!!! 8)

Corley5

I had -18 at 8AM.  That's the coldest we've been this season and 1 degree colder than last winter's lowest temp.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine logger88

Yeah when the temps are that cold it's no fun it takes longer to get everything going including myself lol. I noticed the Belfast bay is starting to freeze up a little so it's stayed cold longer than I can remember

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Corley5 on February 15, 2015, 01:08:04 PM
I had -18 at 8AM.  That's the coldest we've been this season and 1 degree colder than last winter's lowest temp.

You guys got it easy down in the tropics. haha. -30 this morning and last winter was colder....

beenthere

That must be the windchill number. NOAA says got down to -19 F for a low at 4 am.  Minus 32 wind chill at 5 am, temp at -16.  Still be cold. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Out actual temp was -30° and the windchill was -42°.

Corley5

I like the tropics  ;) ;D  Warmest I saw it today was -3.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!