iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut trees complete with root balls

Started by Darrel, February 10, 2015, 01:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

It's been raining a lot here in Oregon, and I was just given three large walnut trees that tipped over in the wind with their root balls still intact. The largest root ball is reported to be 15 feet in diameter.

Question:  are the root balls worth dealing with now that they are "out of the ground"?  And if so, how do I safely deal with them and keep them from falling back in the holes?  Any advice would be appreciated seeing that I'm a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to dealing with such things.

Thanks
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

Heavy machinery?

With an excavator or backhoe, you could fill the hole before cutting the root ball free.

As to being worth the effort? I'll let others advise you there. Seems like a lot of work, but if you were recovering some fancy gun stock wood etc, it might be worth it?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Seaman

I recently slabbed a walnut rootball (turned upside down ) on the Lucas. It was VERY pretty wood ! Stones in the mix that must be dealt with tho. You will need equipment to move around also, they will be heavy.

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

submarinesailor

Speaking of stones.  The one I tried had several stones that the roots had grow around.  Had to cut them out with an ax.

Bruce

mesquite buckeye

If you have a lot of time on your hands, go ahead and dig all the dirt and rocks out of the rootball, then trim all the roots. If the thing is sound wood it could be worth it. Just realize that stump wood will be a time and blade eater, both chainsaws and mill. Root wood is usually darker and denser than stemwood with all kinds of curls and twists in it. Hard to beat for looks, but a beast to work on.

Do one and learn if it is worth it and let's see some pictures. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ljohnsaw

Might be worth renting a high pressure water pump and blasting it with a fire hose?  That would be the quickest (and messiest) way to get the dirt off.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Darrel

Logs are neatly stacked with root balls placed near by and waiting for me but I guess the land owner had a change of heart and decided to "un-give" the trees.   I don't like it but I understand what motivates this action.  Anyway, he wants to make some sort of a deal so I told his agent that I'd slice them up for half the lumber.  I really have no way to slab the root balls so will have to see about getting a little help with them.
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Here's what we got, this looks like my first real milling job and I'm a bit excited.
1992 LT40HD

dgdrls

My experience with a root ball was less than grand,
didn't seem to matter how much I cleaned it the grit and rocks
still made junk out of two chainsaw bars and chains
and shortened the life on my drive sprockets.

I hope you have a better experience,

Best
DGDrls

low_48

I've seen urban root balls with bricks in them. I'm no fan of fighting all the mud, rocks, and mess either. Use some old chains to get it ready!

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

coxy

that double is going to be nice when milled out

Darrel

Thanks Mike for the links. Gives me a bit more knowledge of where in the crotch to look for the highly figured wood. I'm thinking that when I get there I will have to post some pictures and have you guys comment. The pictures I've posted are the ones that the property manager sent.  And they leave me with more questions than answers. At least when I get there I will only be a hop, skip and a jump from WoodMizer in Portland and can pick up some more blades and/or take advantage of their resharp service with out having to pay shipping.
1992 LT40HD

mesquite buckeye

If you hit a rock you won't need resharp. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Darrel

True that! However I have no intention of putting a root ball on the sawmill.
1992 LT40HD

Jemclimber

With the large amount of sapwood they look like yard trees?  It's hard to tell from the pics, are these English walnut?  What are your plans cutting? Are you going to slab them or regular boards? You may want to find a market before you decide how to cut them.  Those wide crotch slabs may be worth more money.  Post some pics once you cut them.  They should be pretty.
lt15

coxy

Quote from: Jemclimber on February 11, 2015, 01:47:45 PM
With the large amount of sapwood they look like yard trees?  It's hard to tell from the pics, are these English walnut?  What are your plans cutting? Are you going to slab them or regular boards? You may want to find a market before you decide how to cut them.  Those wide crotch slabs may be worth more money.  Post some pics once you cut them.  They should be pretty.
[/quote darn    I was going to offer him 50 buck for those crotch boards  :D :D :D

Darrel

I was also wondering about the possibility of it being English walnut so I asked and the guy told me that one of them is English. What it looks like is that I will be buying the logs from the owner. And I'm such a greenhorn that I have no idea what would be a good price. And from these pics, it's pretty hard to tell what's really there. I gotta get up there and see.
1992 LT40HD

mesquite buckeye

I think these are somewhat less than highly valuable. Pushed out trees frequently have cracks inside from the bulldozing process and will have lots more defect than trees that haven't been pushed on. Also the high amount of sapwood is probably decreasing value except for the artisan type buyer.

Don't get burned just because it is walnut. :-\

Joe Hillmann

I would be hesitant to do this job if I were in your shoes.  They started off as free then a trade for lumber and now you are paying for them.  That right there would make me cautious.  Did you cut the trees into log lengths and stack them or did they do it/have it done?

Just because they are walnut doesn't necessary make them valuable.  You have to saw them then find someone who wants to buy them in the sizes you sawed.

Also if they were near a home there is a good chance they will have some metal in them.  And if the guy selling them to you guarantees they don't have metal in them they for sure will.

Of course if you want the logs/lumber then go ahead and buy them.

Thank You Sponsors!