iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL 051: worth savin?

Started by Buzz-sawyer, August 24, 2004, 11:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

A friend has a 83 vintage 051, it is tired and needs overhaul.......I think parts are not available........anyone know whats available, that crosses over ......meaning piston, rings of other stihls, or to get larger jug piston set......Ithatt will work?
Thanks
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dean Hylton

email me and I will see what i can do for you. I have a couple 051 part saw.  I suy and sell saws and parts and may have what you need klickitatrat@toledotel.com

Frickman

Yes the parts are still available. The051is still made in Brazil for the South American market. Contact a good dealer who works with loggers and he should be able to help you. I believe that same motor was used also in some cutquick masonry saws, I'm not certain though. I just sold our last two 051's last year, one was like new with original bar. They don't have chain brakes so OSHA frowns on them. They are a good saw with alot of torque, one of mine is now running a Grandberg chain saw mill. I prefer the newer style of saws though, the 460 and 660's.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Buzz-sawyer

Thanks Frick
I know one thing .....the newer saws ARE  :lighter :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

oldsaw

Had the dealer near my office try to sell me an 075.  Heck that thing was heavier than my 066/Alaskan with a gallon of bar oil and gallon of gas (got jugs that fit inside the Alaskan so I can do most of the saw stuff in one trip).

Too much for this wimp.  I told him I'd rather look for an 088, besides he wanted too much money.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

DanManofStihl

Yeah stick with a 088 the are lighter more powerful and still have parts to get for them how much did he want for the saw/ what type of shape was it in.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Dean Hylton

I have been staying out of this one for a while but can not resist any longer. I have an auction on ebay for a brand new original Stihl 051 piston and jug. Just type in stihl 051 piston and you can find the auction.  I also have several new original parts for the 051. I sell on an average between 40%- 50% of new parts price,  depending on the popularity of the part and how hard it is for me to keep them in stock.  I have 1 set of 051 piston and jug not on auction right for $130 or if you want the auction right now is only at the $26 mark.  Quite a bargain :o  If you need to; go ahead and give me an email: klickitatrat@toledotel.com with a list of parts needed and I will get a price back to you. Some people in here think my prices are a little high but if all you want is a single part or a guarentee that a used part is good then you may want to check me out.  I check all parts I sell for function, clean and fix if needed. I give an inspection period with all parts and saws I sell and if you are unhappy for any reason just let me know and I will make it right  ;)

Stephen_Wiley

Hey Oldsaw,

How much did they want for that 075!

Just used mine today to drop a 48" Cottonwood "I love it " fits well in the category of: "They don't make em the way they use too" or " It takes a lickin but keeps on a tickin".

Hard to destroy a 075, can't say that for the newer models. ;D
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Stephen_Wiley

Buzz,

Just my opinion, probably based upon previous use ...........by all means keep that 051.

I once  landed a logging contract by out cutting the debranching crew using an 051s with a three foot bar.  There were five of them with small 16" bar saws. (makes varied; Poulan, Pioneer, McCullogh, etc.)

DanManofStihl

Yeah most of the contracts I have the people are using the oldies but goodies. I once was out their cutting and this guy was using one of the old 08s stihls I was surprise it ran it looked to be in horrible shape I was out their with a almost new 066 magnum but he kept right on working.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

sawguy21

I cut my teeth on 051's and 075's when I started wrenching saws in southern British Columbia in the mid 70's. 29 and 36 inch bars with .404 chain. Real workhorses but they have sure gotten heavier in later years. The major problems were the gakets under the insulator block and those *DanG decompression valves coming out. They would cut circles around the high revving Huskies.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen_Wiley

Sawguy,

Ever pull a 090 without the compression release ?

Determination caused me to prove it could be done............................pain, proved to me once was enough. :-[ :D :D

sawguy21

Sure have Stephen and, like you, only once. A mill I fixed saws for in Revelstoke B.C. (BIG cedar country) supplied the fellers with 090's and to simplify inventory, used them on the mill barker with 24" bars. I had to reposition the governor spring to keep them from over-revving. I cant lean on a 090 hard enough to stall it with the short bar! The guys I work with now dont believe me
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen_Wiley

The 'guys' you work with now obviously have not run an 090.

Thank You Sponsors!