iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breeze Dried Stickers Question

Started by Denny, February 08, 2015, 10:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denny

Any harm with using Breeze Dried stickers with red oak ? 

Thanks folks...
-Denny

Southside

Since you asked - what do you guys recommend for a rule of thumb when it comes to stickers, as in - species.  In a perfect world would it be better to keep the same species sticking the same lumber or does it not make a difference? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This question has come up for many years and I have yet to find any evidence that species of sticker (using the commonly used-for-stickers wood species) affect staining if the stickers are dry initially and if the lumber is not exposed to rain.  There is one exception...southern pine plywood stickers did cause excessive stain for the first several uses on hardwood lumber.  We had a project funded by the manufacturer of such stickers, but after the initial tests that definitely showed a problem, the project was cancelled, so we did not learn what was causing such a reaction.  Having said all this, appreciate that some species have water soluble chemicals in them.  (Dip a piece of wood in hot water for a few minutes and see if the water turns color.)  I do believe that such species would not be desirable for  stickers...I think that walnut is eliminated for sure, as well as osage orange.  Maybe redwood too, but redwood is too soft for a sticker.

Breeze dried is often used on oak.

Red oak stickers are probably the most common species used East of the Mississippi River.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Denny

Thanks guys. I use flat stickers on all the red oak I dry, but right now I have all my flat stickers just about used up and only have my Breeze Dried stickers left to work with.  I was just concerned that the Breeze Dried sticks might increase the air flow enough that it might cause some surface checking.

Thanks again...
-Denny

stanwelch

Pardon my ignorance.  What is the difference between your flat and breeze dried stickers?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

beenthere

stan

Some previous threads about them. Patented design where less wood contact is made between the sticker and the lumber. Can be made by routing out part of the sticker for starters, as some members have shown.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=79594.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawwood

I made some stickers out of oak and then run them threw my woodmaster with a cove bit to make a grove in the center. They worked ok but when we unstacked the lumber the sticker grove was full of mud dabber mud and some
outer bug stuff. They might work in a kiln but for air drying not so good.

Sawwood

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!