iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsawmill build - Sawdust !!!

Started by DMcCoy, February 08, 2015, 09:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

First saw dust today.  I just can't believe it, the variation in width is under 1/32" in over 10 feet.   With my old Belsaw I was lucky if I could keep the taper to 1/8" in 8 feet.  It is just amazing to me.

thecfarm

You can thank the builder for that one. Good job!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunz

The old adage "thick and thin lumber" doesn't really apply to today's band mills. If it does, something ain't right. Congrats on the self designed sawdust maker, you should be proud!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

Fantastic!  that's a plan that came together, sounds like you nailed it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like a job well done!  I like that you painted your tractor to match the mill  :laugh:.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

Good job, if a mill is built right and adjusted right it will cut right. Be careful with that peastone around your mill, don't lay logs on it the bark will hold it. Also sawdust cleanup will be a bear. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RM Farm

I like the build, and it looks like you are getting an area ready to go for a permanent setup.  :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

DMcCoy

Thanks guys, 
Jack Daniels and I had a small celebration  ;D.  Too bad you didn't live closer.
I have learned so much just reading this forum, the details, adjustments, etc.. It made the building more clear as to what was important and why.  Thank you!

It's still dark here but I already want to get back out there, and feed my addiction.

"I like that you painted your tractor to match the mill  :laugh:."

I should make some John Deere stickers, model -  BS101  :)

I will move it eventually to a better spot where I can load the logs from the "front" side, where the stops can keep them from rolling off.  Hardly any sawdust, which is really nice.

DeerMeadowFarm

dboyt

Quote from: DMcCoy on February 09, 2015, 09:51:43 AM
It's still dark here but I already want to get back out there, and feed my addiction.

That's what the headlights on your truck are for!  Nice job.  Looks like a good, solid frame.  Congratulations!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

5quarter

Great job on the build! very nice looking mill.  X2 on the frame. It looks like you used 4"x16" lvls for the beams and simply bolted the bunks and frames to the lvls. very clever.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ozarkgem

nice build. Making lumber is an addiction. What is the lever for in the second pic? I guess the back stops.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

DMcCoy

I used as much as possible my accumulated hoard of stuff.  The frame is overkill but I had these laying around, thanks to the Wash. Co. road dept (free).  They are actually 6x18.  On my old Belsaw I used a 2x6 top cap and always liked how I could adjust the track to flatness with shims. 
These 4 bunks have metal supports that sit on top of the timbers, and that part the log sits on (levelers?) rest on top of these metal supports.  I have built in 1/2" worth of adjustment on each end of each leveler, figuring I could use metal washers as shims.  There is a hole for a bolt to hold the washers in place.

Running the thing immediately brought back memories of running the old mill and the differences.  No falling slabs (flitch's) that might rub on the blade, no jerking carriage, no chunks of crap being flung toward your face, no water being tossed all over you as you positioned the log, etc. etc..   
I'm happy with how it turned out mechanically (the build) but using it compared to the Belsaw is just so much nicer too.  Knowing once you flip it flat side down that you are parallel, and will stay parallel, is a relief I did not fully appreciate until using it.   

DMcCoy

Quote from: ozarkgem on February 10, 2015, 06:43:50 AM
nice build. Making lumber is an addiction. What is the lever for in the second pic? I guess the back stops.

Yes, It raises and lowers the backstops.  I had the hardest time deciding how to build those.  They lack easy adjustment for square-ness which I think I will regret.  The indexer is a gear out of a D-2 caterpillar.  I plan on making a label that will tell me the height of the backstop at each stop (gear tooth).
It is an addiction for sure.  Deciding on how to open logs from what you can see on the outside, hard to describe.

terrifictimbersllc

Nice!  Only the beginning!   Congratulations.  8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JB Griffin

Congrats on the new mill, looks good.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

leroy in kansas

Nice Job. I don't think it's going to bend in the middle anytime soon.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!