iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Tailed Hawk

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2015, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yesterday before leaving the Cabin, Pat and I took our usual Golf Car ride around the place just looking and enjoying.  While returning and as we neared the Cabin she spotted this hawk on her side of the woods road.

It did not appear to have anything in it's talons, but flying away was not in it's plan.  It flaired it's wings and head feathers and looked quite ferocious.  I easily got within 5 feet to take pictures.

A few years ago I encountered this one under similar circumstances.

It would not make any attempt to fly away either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

That's one angry looking bird!  Nice pictures.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

He could have been molting. I've walked within 4 or 5 feet from them also during this time.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That is what I wondered about David, especially since both of them seem very healthy otherwise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

johnnyllama

Magicman,
  Last year I was driving home when I noticed a red tail hanging upside down from a power pole brace. I stopped and backed up. When I got out of the truck and slammed the door, the hawk moved a bit. I couldn't figure out how to help him as he was about 40' up in the air and his talons were caught in the metal brace. I drove home and got on the phone to the utility company with littlt hope they would offer anything. The next day I got a call from a friend that works for them. They contacted him, he drove about 12 miles to the pole, used his bucket truck to get up and free the hawk (he wrapped him in his coat first) and brought him down to the ground and set him free. He said the hawk just sat there  for about 10 minutes but then took a few hops and flew away!! That made my day.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Autocar

We have alot of red tails around this area. Last week we had a hawk hit the front windows I went out side right away and moved him to a area where the cats wouldn't get him and later on he flew away then I saw a sparrow laying dead at the base of the windows and figure he was hot after him when they got fooled by the reflection of the trees in the windows. Haven't seen him sence  :D.
Bill

Larry

About four days ago we noticed all our yard birds disappeared.  Two days ago we noticed a pair of red tailed hawks.  One was on a nest.  Maybe 50 yards from the house and I've been watching to see what happens.  Maybe I can get a picture of the family all together. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

luvmexfood

They have become over abundant here and the small game is taking a toll. Saw 3 the other day circling over about a 10 acre area. And that does not include the big one I normally see in that area.

One has been so brave to circle above the neighbors chiawaia (dog can't spell it) checking him.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

LeeB

We have a pair or two that live down at the bottom of the hill. Have not lost any of Lindy's birds to them that I know of. She rescued one of them from the fence a few years back. It still screams at here every time it sees Lindy outside.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!