iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Following fron the sawed log right through to the final project

Started by rimshot, February 08, 2015, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

There just can't help but be a special satisfaction when one has the ability to not only select and harvest just the right tree but saw it into fine boards with your own saw mill.  Then stick and stack the lumber for a period of time before planing and building the final project.  I have built houses to tables and chairs for my granddaughters in this way.   While my projects are not the always the picture of perfection they have provided something to provide me with a sense of satisfaction and purpose in life.  When one receives the help of a grandson for a job and  it's always a special day when one of these projects reaches completion.  Here is a nice solid maple 42" special height  table (top and legs) with a pretty grained Ash 1 X 7" verticle center end board.  Don't mean to be bragging about anything just sharing some of life's finest things to be grateful for.

If I don't get the picture of this photo attached to this post successfully I will be back with this pictured project which was just completed today.

rimshot

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

acrosteve

Congratulations.  Looking forward to the pics.

Did you actually have the specific project in mind when you felled the tree?  Or just personal projects in general?

Timberking B-20

drobertson

Nice work! and you are right, it is very rewarding.. and it takes a lil while ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rimshot

Actually Steve, I cut the tree two years ago.  Quite honestly After two years of air drying when I grabbed the stock off the wood pile I believe I had forgotten myh original intention.  Ooh well. it was the thought that counted  ;-)

rim

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

acrosteve

Timberking B-20

Andy White

Rimshot,
I know the feeling you are describing really well. The setting bench project I did for DABlack was my first. The last one that I am finishing now is the second. This one was done with all hand tools! WHEW!! a real chore. In a thread I posted last year, showed two Red Oak logs about 5 ft. long, and I knew exactly what I would do with them! All the 8' stock came from the first log I sawed with my mill two years ago.  BTW, that is a fine looking project you are showing there!  Keep sawing, and keep building, and above all, keep sending pictures!   8) 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

Looks good. Most of my building is done by the tree too. Cut it down,put it on the mill,put the nails to it!! Sometimes all in about 2 hours from starting the chainsaw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yes rimshot, there is a very special satisfaction that accompanies watching wood gradually progressing from a being a standing tree to a final useful item.  It's a pleasure that few get to enjoy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rimshot

Quote from: thecfarm on February 08, 2015, 05:12:06 PM
Looks good. Most of my building is done by the tree too. Cut it down,put it on the mill,put the nails to it!! Sometimes all in about 2 hours from starting the chainsaw.

------------------

i AGREE with you cfarm.  You and I are talkling rough framing lumber in this iinstancwe.  But I'm sure you will agree with me it just takes quite a bit more time to season something like lumber for something like a table top of something like a table top of hrd Maple.  Probably more like 10 monthes to a year longer to be precisee.

thecfarm

rimshot,I will have to take your wood about the taple top part. My wood working skills are not that advanced. Like I say,my wood working skills stop,when the tree hits the ground.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcg

Rimshot,

I could not agree more with the enjoyment that is derived from the entire process from stump to what ever.
Last week I spent some time walking our woods marking ash trees. Deciding which ones for firewood and which ones for milling.
The plan for this summer is to build a solar kiln to add to the enjoyment. MY better half just rolls her eyes.
So I quickly let her know these ideas come from the forum. Yep that's correct I blame the forum  :D A lot for all the great ideas.

Thanks
tcg

rimshot

tcg;, cfarm majicman et al

I have a little wood lot with a mixture of CedAR, BALSAM, HardMaple and Ash.  The Ash trees unfortunately are infected by that European Ash Bore.  Authorities are fighting a losing battle in controlling this very devistating insect.  It looks to me like we are losing all the Ash  trees.

rimshot

drobertson

This is what I believe the main selling point of all the smaller band mills is, taking the raw to the saw, and making the raw become an awesome!  nice work man! 8)  nice work indeed. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!