iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230 manuals

Started by Tillman, February 08, 2015, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillman

Hello, I am new to the forum, I bought a Timberjack 230 skidder with a detriot 353 in it, its from the seventies. I have the serial number (782157) and am wondering if it's a 230D or not. I was able to find the operators manual for 200 d series. But I look through it and my machine is a bit different on the controls. So I am looking for the central greasing system on mine which it says is on the d series. Looks like there aren't a lot of grease fittings for the amount of moving parts.  Also looking for a place to get a service manual and operators manual for the skidder I have (assuming it is not a d), and if anybody recomends somebody who really knows this machine in Western MA.  Thanks for any help I can get.

rockwall

Scroll down a little bit and you will find a recent post  Timberjack and winch manuals. It should help.

ForestFox

Hi, usually the first two digits indicate the model year, so yours would be a 1978 model year.

here is a link address.  https://techpubs.deere.com/PreferencePage.aspx 

This will put you in the John Deere Bookstore. I got a parts catalog and a service manual for my 65 TJ225 here. Downloaded it to my computer.

You may have to search a bit, look in Technical publications first and you may try in a serch box your 230 model #.
Modify message 

Make sure you get the correct manuals they run from beginning serial # to an ending serial #.  All joints should have grease fittings, if they don't they need them or are sealed joints mostly of the u joint variety. Lots of times they are hidden, keep looking.
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

Neilo

That serial number is a D series. Numbers don't relate to year. Yours is probably a late '75 machine.

I don't have my parts book for the 230 with Eatons in front of me to tell if yours should have Eaton or Rockwell axles. If it has Eatons, you are chasing a different manual to earier ones, but you can make do with the earlier ones and download an Eaton WR manual that is pretty close to those old Eaton axles.

You don't say how your controls are different. The brake line lock was deleted around the time of your machine, and a hand brake added. Gearmatic winch was optional which would change controls.

The central greasing only does a few points. There are lots of other places to grease. These are in the operators manual you have.

ForestFox

@Neilo. On the early TJ's the first 2 digits do represent the year! Here is a post from 2012 you participated in. http://209.164.108.37/board/index.php?topic=62248.40 a bit down from your second reply,Mark K said that Lyons of Lyons Equipment in NY now CJ logging said the same thing! I do not know what year they stopped doing this however. On mine the serial number matches the model year.
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

Pa woodchuck

My 1970 225 serial number starts with 78

Tillman

Hey Thanks for the help, I was able to find the right manual from JD. I am sure I will have some more questions. Bit of a learning curve with new machines. Thanks again!

Tillman

It seems that my machine doesn't have the central grease fittings system, is that something that is normal or do you think someone took it out? Also the hydraulic controller leaks a fair amount, can I run it until the spring without causing damage, or should I fix it immediately?

Neilo

The central greasing was standard on your machine. If it isn't there then someone has removed it. Some of the flexible lines in that system were prone to failing and were commonly removed, but the grease points under the trans will be hard to reach otherwise.

Running the hydraulic pump dry will cause damage. Keep it topped up with fluid. Depends on how bad the leaks are if this is possible.

Beaconbrook

I'm located on the north shore of Lake Superior in Ontario. I've owned my 1964 Timberjack for about 4 years now. I've rebuilt the T98 transmission and the transfer case located behind the cab. I had a serious leak on the starboard side of the machine at the hydraulic line into the Hercules winch. I replaced the line and fittings to the winch casing only to find that the center shaft to the winch also leaks just above where the line is mounted to the winch casing. The line needed replacing anyway but I'm uncertain about what needs to be done to gain access to the winch to change the seal. The leak is right at that center shaft for the drum.
I will be lifting the winch with a chain hoist to gain more access to the winch, but I'm still not sure how to go about fixing this hydraulic fluid leak.
I've searched online for free pdf's for sketches to this "Rockwell" Hercules winch, but I haven't been successful at finding anything to my satisfaction.
I know I'm going to need part numbers to be able to replace whatever seal is leaking.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Beaconbrook

Correction, not rockwell hercules winch! Rockwell is my transfercase not the winch. Don't know what I was thinking...
Anyway...

tacks Y

Join the Timberjack junkie's, a lot more jack info there. Just post your question there also.  

GRANITEstateMP

beaconbrook,  Harold's Logging Supply in Maine will be.able to help. call them up, oarta for the Hercules winch are on the shelf. When we did our 230 winch on the farm years ago, they even sent a few diagrams with the parts. It wasn't a super hard job, but everything is heavy! We removed the winch from the machine, that made things a lot easier to work on! Best of luck
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!