iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie with questions on oil

Started by bonzoscott, February 08, 2015, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonzoscott

Hello, new guy here and new to chainsaws for the most part. Just looking at home owner things mostly but also need to cut some 25 inch trunks (if that is the right word).
I have two chainsaws. The newest is 5 year old Craftsman Pro 18 inch. and the manual says to use only Craftsman Fully synthetic brand oil at 40:1. What are your thoughts? Synthetic yes or no. And what brand do you recommend best, rather than traveling to Sears?

The oldest chainsaw, about 15 years old, is a Craftsman 3.7 / 18 inch. I believe that is 60 cc? It's quiet heavy. It says to use Mix at 16:1. I found that odd - it's the same as my antique boat motors! My question on that is: are there other modern saws that use 16:1 mix?

Thanks in advance...

brettl

Welcome. Oil quality had changed and with it, the necessity for 16:1, 32:1, etc. 40:1 and 50:1 are the excepted norms now. Just stick with a name brand. 40:1 is a safe compromise between old school and new. Search oil threads and you'll see this is a subject that's been discussed and argued more than any other.

Also, Craftsman is made by someone else, be it saws, oil or whatever. Stihl, Lucas, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, etc, any of the brand names will be fine. Just go into the first auto or small engine store you see and buy a name brand 2 cycle oil.

High octane, low ethanol gas is as important as the oil.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. That older 3.7 I bet is a Poulan. Those are pretty good saws. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bonzoscott

Thanks for the replies! Yes I realize I'm on the bottom rung of saws. Just looking for a good source of info from the Pros....

John Mc

Quote from: brettl on February 08, 2015, 07:30:12 AM
Just go into the first auto or small engine store you see and buy a name brand 2 cycle oil.

Just remember to get oil designed for air-cooled engines like your chainsaw. A lot of otherwise good marine 2 cycle oils can't take the heat found in a chainsaw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jargo432

Welcome...
If you can find it you should use high octane fuel that is ethanol free.  Do a search for ethanol free gas stations in your area.  Also I find that Red Armor additive is the best.  You can find it a Echo dealers.  Red Armor claims the fuel will not break down for 2 years. 
Jack of all trades.

Thank You Sponsors!