iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olympyk 999F

Started by brettl, February 07, 2015, 10:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I recently picked a 999F with 30" Total Super bar on cl. In good shape and for 250 I had to have it, for the "cool factor" if nothing else. I also have an interest in chainsaw milling and in fact already have a Timberjig. The other choice is my MS440.

Is there any reson not to use the 999? I know if/when it pukes parts availability will be a problem, but other than that....

mad murdock

I don't see why you couldn't mill with it. Unless of course it was some rare museum piece. I don't know anything about Olympic saws. I have never seen one in living color.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JB Griffin

Hunt up a Efco dealer near you parts very well could be available, mine had every thing I needed for my 962.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

brettl

No, it's no museum piece, just a big heavy saw. I don't know much about this particular model either. I'm just curious to hear from others who have used this saw and their opinions of it's bar oiling, etc. Functions important to a milling saw. Thanks

mad murdock

If it doesn't throw enough oil, and there is no adjuster to increase output, you can always add an auxiliary oiler to your mill.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

brettl, I found this for you from 1989 when it was first introduced. Looks like a good saw to me from these ads. I have another magazine from 1986 that has a picture of it as a prototype so it wasn't rushed into production by no means. Its competitive in features and specs to Husqvarna, Jonsered and Stihl .
It's got dual oilers with a manual over ride so should have good milling potential. Rated for a 60" b/c.
Ad also shows North American distibuters and dealerships which may still have old part inventory .

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Olympyk, EMak, Effco, OleoMac, they are all the same saws. Spares should not be a problem.

This link might be useful since it has a link to the user manual:
http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/oleomac/999.html

Joe

bill m

I have one of these saws in my shed. Bought it brand new from a Tilton salesmen. He had one polished and ported with a bigger carb and a 16 inch bar. That thing would scream. I still have the owners manual and parts breakdown for mine.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

brettl

Great information. Thanks guys. I would like to find out about spare parts so I'll have to look around. It sounds like this saw should be a good milling saw.

Thank You Sponsors!