iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions for the chemists: Sorel/oxychloride cement.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 06, 2015, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have a friend who is doing some detective work on come cement used on some conservation work that he is doing. We are trying to recreate Sorel or oxychloride cement. Whenever I try to search for some of the material needed, I only get sources for nutritional supplements. I'm trying to find bulk MgO (magnesium oxide) and MgCl2 (magnesium chloride). There is a ceramics supply place near here that has some of the materials, but they are not always the pure form, such as magnesium carbonate instead of mag oxide. It would be much easier to work with the pure material than to have to remove the extra elements. I know there are a lot of people on here who have done a lot of things before or in addition to their sawmill addictions, and might be able to point us in the right direction. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!