iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prefered log length vs tree species

Started by brendonv, February 06, 2015, 11:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

This year im planning on keeping more sawlogs from my residential tree care comp.

Is there a chart or reference i can explore which would show what a buyer or end user would prefer on average regarding certain tree species? 

I use alot myself and obviously cut accordingly. Just want options as id like to do more useful end products from these logs.

I hate to just guess, and have to turn those logs into firewood.  I can haul 16'6" on my trailer.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

mesquite buckeye

Anything that can be milled and will produce a marketable product is potentially worth sawing. That said, with hardwoods you are typically working with random lengths. Get the longest piece of fairly straight log that will fit on your trailer. You can always cut a long board into shorter ones. Harder to go the other way. Don't waste a lot of time with logs that have a lot of ingrown bark or rot showing on both ends. Crotches are purty and if you line it up right you have 1 or more gunstock blanks. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bert

Im not sure of any charts, but the large mills around here generally want 10' 6 and up.  I had a few 9'6 veneer logs go out in the past couple years but 8's just go into the prime sawlog grade even if they are dandy. Keep em' as long and straight as possible. Its pretty much a game. Getting a spec sheet from the buyer is the best way to go. Will trimming two feet of a log off to get rid of a knot make up for getting 1 grade up in log value? Hard to know.
Saw you tomorrow!

mills

Determine what or who your market will be and then find out what they need. Often you will make more money on the shorter logs. But, always cut for grade whenever your in doubt.

beenthere

In hardwoods, may be best to let the log in the tree determine the length.
i.e. buck for grade and for yield. Remove the straight sections for best yield and at the same time consider the quality (grade) of that log.
If buying logs, then those decisions may already be made by the logger in the field and that may just mean they are going to be one length. Seems 16' with trim would be good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Mills out here wanat 38-40' with 14" of trim.  They cut mostly 8', 10', 12' and 16' lumber out of it.  As far as hardwood goes, depends on the species and what you can economically get out of a piece, usually nothing longer than 12', and mostly 8'.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Dave Shepard

Are you going to try and sell logs to a mill or broker, or have a mill come in to saw for you? I'm guessing the latter.

I don't think you need to get to carried away on length for hardwood logs. 16' hardwood logs are going to require more effort to saw because of stress. Unless you are sawing white oak horse fence boards, I'd say 8', 9', 10' is good.  As beenthere mentioned, let the tree determine the lengths. If the max section is 14', then take it as a 14' to get the max value. You can always cut that into a 6' and 8' for a customer later. Unless you want to have a yard full of lower grade lumber, I would only take the choicest logs to have milled. (Unless you are selling the logs, then take anything that will meet their spec). Even 5' or 6' chunks if they are really nice and large. When I was doing tree work, I saw a lot of really nice short stuff go for firewood because the commercial mills didn't want it. That was when I first really got motivated to get a Wood-Mizer.

Softwoods I would cut in even 2' increments. 12', 14' and 16' are popular lengths for b&b siding. I cut my pine usually in 2" widths as well. I don't know that cutting much 2x stock is going to be worthwhile. No point in competing with the commercial lumber there.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

mmmmmm......12&16 mostly but depends on the buyer. what ever you do always leave 6" or more trim. i move every thing 42 and 52 foot any more.

cutterboy

If you are going to sell hardwood lumber go for 8' logs or shorter. Customers will want to transport the boards in their car or pickup. I cut my logs 8'6" as a general rule but will use any length over 4'. I sell a lot of 4' lumber.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

The only problem with sawing shorter than 8'6" is handling and clamping. It can add a good chunk of time, but is worth it if the log is exceptional and only cost you what it deprives you of in the firewood pile. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CCC4

Specific sizing...

Hardwood, 9'4 for tie mills...no overcut

Pine, 12'6, 14'6, 16'6, and 25 are precut...32' is considered tree length here

CCC4

Meant to say, 32' to 65' is considered tree length...sorry

duckslayingpro

We cut all of logs here 8' 8" pine or hardwood. Occasionally we will have to cut tie logs at 9' 4". Really seems area specific. Best bet would be to call the mill you plan on selling too. Good luck

longtime lurker

I live in a different world to you guys - different species, different building methods mean a quite different market demand -
BUT
trees is trees, and lumber is lumber.
And one of the great problems with lumber is you can't just weld it back together.
Take each log as long as you can in terms of both what the tree wants to give you and what the mill can handle.
You can always cut individual boards shorter later, and you don't loose so much to fault docking because often as not theres enough left one side the other of a docked out fault to still yield saleable lengths. Also the % lost due to end splitting is a lot less if the board is twice as long.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Skidder Kev

Brendon,  each mill seems to want something different but I would say you would be safe cutting 8,10,12,14,16s.  just try to make them straight.   

kev

Dave Shepard

If selling to a mill/broker, then you have to get a grade sheet from them, but I think he is talking about utilizing the logs himself.

brendonv

Thanks For the replies. Guess ill shoot for length.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Ron Scott

Always check for the tree species and specs desired by your procurement mill's market for your best sale values and cut/sort your wood products accordingly. Learn to cut sawlogs to maximize grade. Taking a log grading course is always worthwhile if you haven't done so.
~Ron

clww

From all the posts, I gather it's different lengths in different areas. The mills we haul to want between 14' and 18' for pulp logs, and 12.5', 14.5', and 16.5' for saw logs. Once in a great while we'll have a special order for tree length pine.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!