iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder Search

Started by Ken, February 05, 2015, 08:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Quote from: furltech on October 22, 2016, 08:03:51 PM
I have operated both .the wisent definetly more comfortable if i had my choice i would take the wisent .But i am a timberjack guy through and through .

Thank you for that. I love the Timberjacks as well but some components are or will soon be very hard to come by.   The Wisent is quite a bit smaller but would be a good fit when we do partial cuts but the Rottne would certainly carry a considerably larger load when I am on long yards.

Quote from: bushmechanic on October 23, 2016, 07:32:12 AM
Hey Ken I was looking at an ad on NL classifieds for a Tigercat 1070 forwarder located in Labrador, was probably on the muskrat falls project, would fit your needs perfectly.

I did see that listing.  A 20 tonne machine is quite a bit larger than I was looking for.  It also does not have a blade which is something I would prefer. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

1270d

some of the smaller ponsse forwarders had a reputation for weak bogie bearings.  Not sure if that is fixed in the later models. 

barbender

Although I haven't operated a Wisent myself, I would want a larger machine for clear cuts, especially if you have long skids.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Which model crane does the Wisent have on it?

chevytaHOE5674

I think the Wisent has the K70 crane which is the same our Caribou had. The crane is on the lighter side if you are handling a lot of hardwood. I would be looking for a Ponsse Buffalo if you do some clearcuts and have longer skids. Its big enough to get some serious work done but also still maneuverable enough get around in tighter thinning operations.

barbender

Chevy, I think some of those smaller machines had two crane options, you could get a K70 or K90 but I don't know if the Wisent was one of them. I agree on the Buffalo, I think that would be a better size machine for Ken.

snowstorm

my vote is for the blue one. i like blue. i have called the dealer in moncton a couple times needing advice. those guys are on to it they know what they are doing. last month when i was in st john for the refinery tour i was talking to a guy from apla? the ponsse dealer. he was telling me he sold 80 machine to irving. are they a big dealer?

Ken

Although it has taken much longer than expected I have finally gotten a new to me machine on site.  It is a 2014 Wisent with 11600 hours that was very well taken care of by the previous owner.  Thanks to all who replied with their comments.  I looked long and hard to find a used machine in good shape.  One a bit larger would have been nice but there are tradeoffs.

lopet

Nice  8)      So it was running close to twenty hours a day ?  Wow, just never heard of such thing.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

1270d

barbender

Very nice, it must've been double shifted? It should serve you well. Does it have a K70 crane?

Ken

Quote from: lopet on November 25, 2016, 07:06:10 PM
Nice  8)      So it was running close to twenty hours a day ?  Wow, just never heard of such thing.

Very common here for machines working for industry to be working 24 hours a day.  This machine was bought new 2.5 years ago and has been double shifted since then.  It will enjoy my jobsite as I only work single shift.

Quote from: barbender on November 25, 2016, 09:57:35 PM
Very nice, it must've been double shifted? It should serve you well. Does it have a K70 crane?

It does have a K70 crane.  I've only used it now for a few hours so still getting used to it but seems to work very well

barbender

Ken, although yours has the newer computer system than the machine I run, I know my way around the forwarder controls and setup fairly well. I like my controls "just so", I'm pretty particular about that kind of stuff so I've had to do a lot of learning over the years so I could set things up the way I like. Anyhow, if you have any questions, just fire away ;)

Thank You Sponsors!