iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One cut

Started by Peter Drouin, February 05, 2015, 06:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

One cut; change the blade, One cut change the blade, One cut change the blade. All and all, 6 blades to cut one log. Did I say I don't like frozen earth on my logs with snow to hide the earth. ::) :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

That sounds like bundles of joy! 
Boy, back in my day..

DR_Buck

No debarker to clean the log cut?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dave Shepard

The debarker won't cut through heavy mud. I've got some sawing to do, but I'm hoping for a thaw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WH_Conley

If you have a sawdust pile, bury the logs over night. Most of the time they will be thawed by morning. Only problem with that is if you do it every day the sawdust will lose it's heat after a few days.
Bill

bandmiller2

Peter sounds like a little vacation from milling is in order, what you will make won't pay for the bands you'll  use. I haven't cut in two weeks too much snow and cold. Sometimes you save money by not trying to make money. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

I almost see a need for a debarker,  one of the big ones for you up there, had a good friend saw for years on a circle mill, it burnt, bad lightning storm, but when the rebuilt no debarker,  dave said He would not saw, he did, but it was brutal.  Skid logs have lots of debris.   maybe a good day to watch more videos on nice pretty logs aye?  NOT,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

It helps to put a fresh edge on the debarker teeth with a diamond wheel.   But even if it starts cutting in a half inch or so it's not going to fix deep furrowed bark full of frozen mud.  And then there's the exit side too, I think when frozen exiting sawdust doesn't blow everything off like when its thawed.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I've got a brilliant idea to solve all your problems:

Get Ready

Build yourself a wood-heated log pond.
Boy, back in my day..

Andries

. . . 'log pond' ?
Hmmmm, think he might be running low on firewood/logs by the time the wood stove had heated up the pond!
Guess he could just go skinny dipping instead of milling then.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

It was the last log to fill an order. After I get all the roof up I'm going to cut a lot of lumber ahead and shut down for the winter ,Then Start up April 1  :D

Some days I don't make as much $ But when I want to get something done it get done. :D :D :D
Then today I find out all the biggest mills the ones that cut 60 to 180,000 bf + a day up the price on W Pine. If I want Pine I have to match it. .33 to .34 a bf. :o
Even pallet R oak is .45 a bf wow
A&P saw Mill LLC.

reubenT

I found that a big production mill can survive and make money at a much lower income per unit than a little mill can.  Especially the manual band mill that I had.     I could not compete on that level.      So instead of sawing my own good logs I sell them to a big mill and get almost as much as I would from the lumber. (I was selling lumber to hardwood flooring mills)    The other problem I run into was grading of lumber.   And not having semi load quantities to offer.   So I had to stick with custom work here and there.
   An advantage is the increase of footage from small logs,  since the log scale takes a 4x4 out of every log, (heartwood frequently unusable or pallet grade on large hardwood)  The small logs drop way back on the scale and with the band mill I could almost double the actual footage over the log scale.

I solved the dirt/mud/frozen mud problem with an axe.    But that was a slow hard work method.   Not sure what I'm going to do about it on the mill I'm fixin up now,  don't like the idea of wasting run time and fuel while I work on the dirt with an axe.  Maybe a log wizard debarker on an electric chainsaw would do it better. 

Peter Drouin

A full log debarker might work, I found one for $6000.00.  But a frozen log I bet don't debark well. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

I get alot of frozen mud up here too. Some days its like wiping your butt with a spinning wheel... ;D

I sharpen my debarker blades with a 15 degree angle to compensate(roughly..heh) for the log curvature. It helps make a wider "clean" line for the first few cuts...but when that mud is hidden by snow and is 3 or 4 inches thick....and you hear that awful sound....@!#$%^&*&^%$#@$%^&* >:( >:( >:(
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Snow today, So I'm sharpening some blades. The one cut ones are so bad,[½ of them] I set, sharpen, and set and sharpen. :D :D :D I think I lost ½ the life of them.
But the Wood Mizer CBM is working like a champ. :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I really like the way that WM dual tooth setter works.  Are you happy with your sharp/set setup?

I was setting first, then I talked with Cook's and they told me that sharpening can take the set out of a band so they recommend to set last, but I find myself spending too much time deburring the bands to get an accurate reading on the dial indicators.  Maybe I'm just too picky with the set :)
Boy, back in my day..

BobInMN

Get a 100 lb propane tank with a weed burner torch and hire a teenager to clean the logs.  Wouldn't that be cheaper than bands?  I asked my attorney if I could hire a teenager to help keep my shop clean.  She said yes and I could get them covered under my homeowners insurance for liability coverage.  Would it be different for your business insurance?
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

Chuck White

Quote from: 4x4American on February 08, 2015, 01:20:30 PM
I really like the way that WM dual tooth setter works.  Are you happy with your sharp/set setup?

I was setting first, then I talked with Cook's and they told me that sharpening can take the set out of a band so they recommend to set last, but I find myself spending too much time deburring the bands to get an accurate reading on the dial indicators.  Maybe I'm just too picky with the set :) 

If you want to get rid of the headache, set first, then sharpen, and don't worry about the burr on the back side of the band!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on February 08, 2015, 01:20:30 PM

Yes, I'm happy with the set up. I set first that way the top of the tooth is flat. Not at an angel. [ For me it cuts faster]
When I sharpen I only lose maybe 2tho on the set. With the blades I ran in the one cut I layed the CBM wheel right into the blade heavy and lost 5 tho. That's why I reset them to bring back to 30tho set. All is good now. :D :D :D :D

Quote from: BobInMN on February 08, 2015, 03:19:12 PM
Get a 100 lb propane tank with a weed burner torch and hire a teenager to clean the logs.  Wouldn't that be cheaper than bands?  I asked my attorney if I could hire a teenager to help keep my shop clean.  She said yes and I could get them covered under my homeowners insurance for liability coverage.  Would it be different for your business insurance?

Not all logs are like that, Just sometimes. I find at 25.00 a blade, it's short money. I think I had sharpened the blades 3 or 4 times already, And today is 5 times. When you do this for a living, There are things to look at, Blades are a very, very small part of it, I already have the best blades I can get for my mill and only can get so much out of them.[And yes keeping them out of the sand will help] :D :D
And as for hiring help I have done that 20+ at a time. I'll past. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I think I might go back to setting first.  I checked a few bands that I had set first, and they weren't far off anyway. 

I am a little bit confused about the part where you said you set first so that the top of the tooth is flat, not at an angle
Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 05, 2015, 07:20:44 PM
No debarker to clean the log cut?

The problem with frozen mud is that it catches the blade as it's leaving the cut. When the mud & dirt isn't frozen, it just gets blown out with the wood as the blade leaves. When it's frozen it sits there an provides a nice, gritty surface to grind the tops off your teeth :(.

That's one reason I pack it in for the winter :),
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

4x4 when you set the tooth you bend the tooth out and the top is not square with the body of the blade. But when you set, then sharpen it it will make it square.
New Wood Mizer blades are out of square. But I think that's it's easier for them to make blades that way.
For me the out of square blade will swim in the log sooner than later.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

YoungStump

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 06, 2015, 06:48:23 AM
A full log debarker might work, I found one for $6000.00.  But a frozen log I bet don't debark well. :D :D :D

We debark around 5 triaxle loads of logs every day on our whole log debarker, often times they are literally coated in frozen mud, doesn't cause an issue with debarking, cutters might wear out a little faster if anything.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YoungStump on February 09, 2015, 09:34:27 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 06, 2015, 06:48:23 AM

We debark around 5 triaxle loads of logs every day on our whole log debarker, often times they are literally coated in frozen mud, doesn't cause an issue with debarking, cutters might wear out a little faster if anything.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!