iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have NEVER seen anything like this.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 05, 2015, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think its a HIDDEN GOLD MINE.

Oak at 60 cents? We are going back to get a trailer load of mixed Red and White Oak. I sell it for $1.50 and with the circle marks, maybe more to hobby builders.

I am pretty sure and I'm just guessing......this old timer doesn't use the internet for marketing.......and the people with $$$$$ who like to build things out of circle wood, does not even know this place exist. Its like Kirk said after the long ride through the woods to the mill yard, "I hear Banjos!".  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

I'll put in my vote that if you're 80 or over and sawing wood your place can look however you want it to.    Plus, Poston had a good time even if he saw a relative's head on a stick.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 05, 2015, 09:38:38 PM
Poston had a good time even if he saw a relative's head on a stick.

That was my Uncle Woody.  :D

scleigh

The Hagans are good people and have been sawing longer than most of us have been alive. I grew up less than 10 miles from there and went to school with some of their children. That old mill fed many over the years.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scleigh on February 05, 2015, 09:59:13 PM
The Hagans are good people and have been sawing longer than most of us have been alive. I grew up less than 10 miles from there and went to school with some of their children. That old mill fed many over the years.

Yes it has. But the brothers don't speak now. 1 was giving the other "down the road" today. If they
d work together, AGAIN....more money could be made.

scleigh

I know some of the smaller contractors up here still use Mr. Hagan for custom orders, many know about him.
It is a shame when siblings have a bitter split, the whole family suffers to some degree. Think cane and able....

Peter Drouin

Too bad they don't know about sheds or barns :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thechknhwk

There is a cat down the road almost like that but his lumber is not going to waste.  Spare parts and wood everywhere, frankenstein machinery, kilns made out of osb, norwood lumbermate with bellies in the log bunks.  Love talkin' to that guy!

Ron Wenrich

I went to a pallet producer that had a sawmill.  His yard looked similar to that.  He pulled grade off the of his better logs, then stickered it, and put it out under some trees.  He wanted me to grade and sell it.  He thought he had a gold mine, but most of the stuff under trees was stained.  It came from those leaves piling up between the layers, and using green stickers.  It doesn't matter what type of mill you have, storing lumber under trees will give you pretty much the same results.

What I see in those pictures is the way mills were run back in the '50s to the early '70s in this area.  At that time, red oak was not worth that much.  We sold it to casket companies that made cheap caskets.  I worked at a mill that operated just like that until some smart guy came along and showed them how to manage a mill.  They learned and became one of the largest hardwood mills in the US.

Back then, many mills were small, doing about half to a million bf per year.  They didn't have much use for jacket boards and knew they were too good to put into pallet.  So, they put them in inventory.  Work gets hectic and those piles easily get forgotten.  I believe the age of the owners eventually catches up to them, and there everything sits.

You can also see they had limited equipment.  They didn't stack anything very high.  When stacking in a more commercial setting, you can go up 3 or 4 bundles without fear of it tipping over.  You can put 3-4 Mbf where there is only 500 bf sitting. 

This is the problem of small mills, no matter of the type.  They have an order for a small niche product and they cut it and store the rest.  Business goes okay, and things get forgotten.  Quite often production is so low that it is hard to move cut lumber to commercial outlets. Eventually they get overwhelmed with unsold inventory.  One of the problems about cutting on speculation of a later sale. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Ron pretty much nailed it over the years I've had to buck up old twisted oak that had stayed at the fair too long, did keep me warm though. Pine I have a hard time keeping it around. Now I don't cut on speculation if I get orders I cut them. If wood is going to rot it can do so without my labor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Indeed. The Hagan's have been sawing lumber for the better part of 100 years. In fact, my parents house was built in the 40's from lumber sawn by the Hagan's. I agree, many children and their children have been fed by that mill.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

pineywoods

It ain't just big old circle mills. I could show you a couple of bandmills like that. Only thing different, when things get too messy around the mill, they just move the mill 100 yards or so... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hacknchop

Without knowing the circumstances behind other peoples situations I think it better to examine ones motives when it comes to other folks affairs my guess is that most of what you see is low grade and or less marketable species.I operated a salvage operation for many yrs with old growth wpine where I got paid by the bdft for4 com and btr all the 5 com was mine for sawing as well as anything under 6' therefore I trucked that stuff home every week for yrs not worth much but still hated to just burn it in the slab pile now to look at those lumber piles one would think I wasted my time and energy sawing for nothing whereas in reality what you are looking at is by product,does nt cost a cent to let it sit and rot.
Often wrong never indoubt

Ocklawahaboy

The only thing that keeps my place from looking like that is the amount of land. 

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 05, 2015, 10:02:42 PM

Yes it has. But the brothers don't speak now. 1 was giving the other "down the road" today.
My cousins from the GReenwood/ware shoals area prefer to give folks "down the country" but I guess the sentiment is the same.

M.peters

I live right down the road from this mill and always hear it running but dont know how to get access and it doesn't look like a place you can just show up at. Is it open to the public how did you get access?? I could really use some of that wood!!

123maxbars

Very nice love seeing old sawmill set ups, makes me want a circle mill, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!