iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have NEVER seen anything like this.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 05, 2015, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Me and Kirk (my off bearer) took a trip this morning to a circle mill up close to Kingsmountain, N.C.

We were basically just site seeing and boy I got my eyes full.
Used to be 2 brothers sawing and selling together, then they split years ago.

The first set of pics is from the brother who just saws lumber with his HIS circle mill.

Here I am beside his planer.

Random pics of equipment

height=480]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/24625/IMG_4525.JPG[/img] 

I was amazed how he stacked and stickered.

This feller was sawing some slab wood for his stove.

The guy that owns the mill, I'll bet still has his first dollar and his first vehicle. There were old cars and trucks every where.

This guy's name is Tom AND George. Some call him Tom...some call him George. I asked him....why all the lumber that has gone to waste. Well, he's in his 80's, big chew in his mouth...he spits and says, WELL...I have slow days and not so slow days in selling......but I have to keep sawing or my logs will go bad.  :o

Now.....his brother Ken saws a little but is more of a carving guy. He has some pretty neat stuff he takes to shows and sells his crafts.

Here's an old Goat walking stick.

I could have literally took hundreds of pic at this place.....it was like going back in time.
I really enjoyed the morning and will go back.
He sells pine for 40 cents....Oak for 60 cents......and Cedar for 80 cents. I'll go back and buy a trailer load of Oak, Red and White with the circle marks on it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Really cool.  Liked the camo wood piles.   Did you get the goat walking stick?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 05, 2015, 02:47:05 PM

$700.00......NO!  :D

Joe Hillmann

What a shame to see all that lumber and work just rot.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 05, 2015, 02:54:50 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 05, 2015, 02:47:05 PM

$700.00......NO!  :D
DanG! >:( Should have tried to trade for two or three of your $300 items.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

RM Farm

Great pictures! Real craftsmanship on  those carvings :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

SPD748

Looks to be Hagan's mill off 161 south near the battleground. Am I close?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Alligator

This is what happens when someone has a great plan to make lumber, and a not so great plan of how to do something with it. I'm not a tree huggerbut a lot of those trees should still be standing. Great pics! You need that cane, But I don't know about $700 worth.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on February 05, 2015, 03:14:14 PM
Looks to be Hagan's mill off 161 south near the battleground. Am I close?

-lee

You're within a board foot. I thought you might know about this place.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There were 1000's of BF of lumber, stacked, rotten and had trees growing up through the stacks.  smiley_cry

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 05, 2015, 03:24:29 PM
There were 1000's of BF of lumber, stacked, rotten and had trees growing up through the stacks.  smiley_cry

It looks like the smallest stacks have around 500bdft in them and the larger ones about 1500.

47sawdust

That circular saw is some scary.Do those folks still have fingers?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Let me know where that place is. I'll pack a couple peanut butter sandwiches so I can spend the day there.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ugly Tree

Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

red oaks lumber

dosen't know much about stickering lumber :) come to think of it, dosen't seem to be very good at being a wood salesman either :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

fishfighter

Looks like the mill my grandpaw had. It took his life. Blade tip came off and hit him in the head.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: thecfarm on February 05, 2015, 06:55:15 PM
Let me know where that place is. I'll pack a couple peanut butter sandwiches so I can spend the day there.  :D

You know there's no meat in peanut butter, right? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

That is really hard to see. Would have been better to have let the logs rot than to saw them and let them rot. :(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 05, 2015, 06:46:35 PM
That circular saw is some scary.Do those folks still have fingers?

You serious?  I've known many circular saw sawyers that still have all their fingers. Don't know of any that have lost them from a circular saw mill like in the pic.  Not that it cannot happen in a "pinch" some where.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Peanut butter I do like. I really like all nuts. My Father had no teeth,so there was no nuts in the Crane household.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

I think he is talking about the slab saw and the fingers. Definitely want to pay attention to what you are doing.
Bill

hackberry jake

Theres still hope for some of that lumber. "Perfectly spalted" or "aged for 25 years". They sell rotten wood stabilizer at lowes :-)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

At $.40/BF, a lot of that lumber is priced way too high  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

sheltered you are,, seen it, sad, anyone can make lumber stacks, the question is how useable?
this is a good example of a bad example of a mill and the product.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!