The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: What mill to buy? Looking for input.  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Hale87

• Full Member x2
Re: What mill to buy? Looking for input.
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
Before purchasing my LT40HD I had a Hudson for maybe five years. Can't say I ever had problems cutting a straight board. I liked it very much and could easily cut a 1000 board foot in a day, but of course that always depends on the logs you're cutting.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Offline DMcCoy

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 08:20:05 am »
I have an old belsaw that I have maybe $1,300.00 into.  It cut straight and square.  As far as aesthetics I prefer circle sawed lumber for siding, you just can't beat the scratch marks imho.  When I sawed 1x siding I ended up with 3 piles of roughly equal size; sawdust, trimmings, and lumber.  I would not recommend you use a belsaw to cut 16' in a "portable" arrangement.  Circle mills need to be level, and level under the load of a moving log.  You need over double the length of your longest log and it must be flat end to end and side to side the whole way.  Mine is 48' long, but I have never cut longer than 17'. My feed rate was 75' per minute.  Never kept track of output, haven't used it for 14 years.  The noise is incredible, cool, but loud. The saw dust pile from the belsaw always bothered me.  I would give it away but it was still a pain.     

I'm building a bandsaw sawmill.  I will keep both mills, only because of the scratch marks.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 08:24:11 am »
Thanks for the input guys, @fishfighter that is an impressive machine for the money, @goose63  the spots in the video where the owner is making veneer was pretty danG impressive.   @xlogger would love to go down to the show, why they have those things during the week is beyond me, two of the mills I ship to end settlements on Thursday and with this wet winter I need every good day in the woods I can get.  @thecfarm oh yea, have the iron to get the logs out, actually thinking I could use some of my non-commercial timber and turn it into lumber rather than send it off for pulp.  There is absolutely no value to a 9' pine log even if it was 30" in diameter and clean, I can't even sell it as pulp as it is too short, now if I can get 370 BFT out of that same piece...

Of course now I am sitting here all night watching videos and drooling, ahh - the automatic sharpener, the portable trailer option, a little building just for the mill (can't mill in the rain you know), the list goes on and on!!!! 

What about log leveling - do you worry about the taper with these manual mills or just mill with how the log lies?

Building my building for my mill now with lumber I'm cutting. ;D

Log leveling, I do. I'm using a floor jack once I line up the best cuts out the log. I had learn very quick to know what I want out on the log before cutting it. First few logs, I didn't have a idea what I wanted. :laugh:

Another thing. Try to keep your work area clear. Cut offs build up real fast and before you know it, they start to pile up and come back towards the mill tracts, blocking the mill head. Don't ask me how I know this. :laugh: I have to spend time today to clear that area. >:( :laugh: Cutting red oak, I pulled some big first cuts off. Those will be used as fire wood for next winter. If I get enough of those, which I'm sure I will, a half cord sells for $120 to $150 in my neck of the woods.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Logging so I can afford to farm.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
Some one will bring up food too just don't bring up :-X GRITS some on here don't like em  ;D

GRITS are not the same as Grits!! Not sure which one you don't like   :D
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 09:07:58 am »
@Ugly Tree  What do you use to de-bark with?
Hot wife

Offline Ugly Tree

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
A smooth end roofing shovel. Not so bad on SYP. Probably a bear on oak.
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
I see we need a GRITS-grits definition.
GRITS,Girls Raised In The South. Nothing a matter with that.  ;D
Now the grits one,the so called corn food from the south.
Now back to our regular scheduled program.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline pine

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »
It's nice to have a mill. Kinda like a bass boat. :D
You know what they say about boats.  The day you bought it was the best day of your life, up until the day you sell it.  Then that becomes the best day of your life because you no longer have it hanging around your neck.

I would hope that the mills do not start to feel like they own you rather than you owning them.  Takes all the enjoyment out of milling.  Every log has a story to tell and each one is a new canvas, some better looking than others of course.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 07:27:48 pm »
@thecfarm I like both the grits GRITS from down south :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline Robert Owens

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 07:33:40 pm »
I have never once looked at my mill like I have a bass boat I had in the past. When I can't saw I think about it, and even try to find logs/trees to cut when I run out. I just really enjoy sawing. There are some lower priced mills out there and a good place to find different companies is the Sawmill and Woodlot magazine.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »
Some one will bring up food too just don't bring up :-X GRITS some on here don't like em  ;D

by grits you mean girls raised in the south, right??  Who couldn't like love them?

Boy, back in my day..

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 06:06:35 am »
I suppose girls are better than goats!!  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:25 am »
Ray,

I would hope so  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 08:08:35 am »

by grits you mean girls raised in the south, right??  Who couldn't like love them?

I been married to a southern girl for the last 35 years. She is even off loading for me now. ;D

Oh. I'm a grits eating sucker too!

Online POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 02:13:55 pm »
I suppose girls are better than goats!!  :D

You can have a fun evening with Goats and Grits.  ;D
I'm thinking......

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »
I have the Hud-son HFE-21 and like it. It's billed as a hobby mill, but it does a pretty good job. There's not much to setting it up and very little maintenance. Set up right it saws boards just as straight as anything else out there if you saw at it's rate. I can go from standing timber to lumber and get 300 bf in a day by myself.
I've had mine for just over 2 years and it's paid for itself in cash better than 3 times now and I've probably only used it a couple dozen full days, plus bunches of evenings and I've sawn quite a bit for myself.
My only complaint would be the log stops and log dogs are one assembly working together and if you don't pay attention it's easy to clamp out of square. Granted, that's just me being heavy handed and not spending the time to get things perfect.
If I were to buy another mill I'd definitely look into a larger one used. Unless you have only perfectly straight logs you will use up your height and width on this one real fast with any sweep in your logs.
I would also highly recommend spending the time and fuel to see just as many mills as you possibly can. Keep in mind that most videos made are the ones that went perfect, some logs are just a PITA.

Allan

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 10:52:54 pm »
I really do appreciate all of the responses. I was going over some of these with my wife at dinner yesterday and she looked at me and asked what it would cost to get a hydraulic mill, so I am at least looking at some used ones there - LT-40H range.  Her logic is that we can pay for steel or medical bills from turning and fighting logs, so she allowed the budget to come up a fair bit.  She is good to me so I don't complain - could not do it without her.  Still not going to get into a payment situation.  The local mill I sell #3 pine / pulp to shut everybody off this week, so it gave me more incentive to find a better way to get value out of my timber. 

I realize it depends on a lot of factors, but what is the general rule of thumb - if there is one - that separates what production mills pay for logs vs what they sell the lumber for.  I guess what I am asking is what does pallet stock / tie stock / grade go for over what the logs were purchased for.  Just trying to see if there is any market opportunity for me is all.

Thanks again

Jim
Hot wife

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:24 am »
Good morning Southside Logger,

I suggest you add a little more into the budget and
look at an EZ Boardwalk Jr.  lots of owners here on the board
who speak very highly of them.

I don't think you can get a circle mill for the same price that will cut right out of the box

Also,  look to a used machine
check the sale board here of FF,

Best
DGDrls