iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon Loging Conference question

Started by Darrel, February 04, 2015, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

Does any body have any experience with the Oregon Loging Conference?  It will be in Eugene on Feb. 19-21.  What I really want to know if it is worth while for a guy like me who logs more for hobby than making a living. Work was preventing me from attending and now, all of a sudden I am unemployed and could go but is it worth the $100.00, or the $15.00 for the exhibitions?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

BradMarks

I'll be there, instructing some 4th graders on some forester activities.  What I show them in 15 minute segments (they participate) is how to use an increment borer and count the age of the tree (log round) and how to take diameters. It is a program in conjunction with the logging show, called "Meet a Forester".  To attend and view the equipment and exhibits, you really needn't pay an entry fee (but I'm sure it would be accepted). There is no one "taking tickets" except for lunch or banquet affairs. Just walk in.  And it's free for everybody (John Q.) on Saturday, although I would recommend that only for seeing the High School forestry competition.

dgdrls

BradMarks

DGDrls:  It went great, for what little time the sessions allowed. Seems this years classes had some really enthusiastic kids come thru. It was fun watching them try to turn a 10" increment borer, at 9-10 yrs old the kids strength varies a bunch, into a semi-dry log round (our 'tree' for the day). And then comparing the core sample to the rings in the round, many of the "way cool" and "neat-o" were heard. At that age the objective is to make/keep/enable them to be interested in forestry. And I believe it was accomplished, again!  As far as the heavy equip and stuff, had to rush out and get back to my real job. But there was lots of it there. And the weather - beautiful. Probably shouldn't have said that ;D

Thank You Sponsors!