iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope Chest

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, August 24, 2004, 10:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I was milling up some red oak logs and after I was done I was cleaning up the mess and noticed a strange looking scrap. I looked at it and I thought I had a band problem it looked like it was kinda wavy. I cleaned up the piece and found a few more in the scrap pile and built this 8)

It would appear that I cut a log or two up that is  in the barn air drying that is Curly 8) 8) 8)
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

DanG

Xtra nice! :)  Around here, they call that "Tiger Oak."  Its much in demand.
If you found that in your scrap pile, you may be culling your lumber too closely. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodChucker

Wish my scrap pile looked that good. I'd be lucky to find  anything over a foot long in mine.

Great job, keep up the good work!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

CHARLIE

Beautiful wood and very nice woodworking. The design shows off the grain of the wood really well.  Nice job!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paschale

Looks terrific!   ;D ;D  The finish looks great too--what's your finish of choice?  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

The finish is a 3 part process
The first step is to dye the wood with water based dye
Then a coat of amber shellac
Then a coat of black wax
Then just a final wax of paste wax
(Ok I guess it is four steps) :D

Bibbyman

Mary and I had a chance to tour a factory that made component parts for oak cabinets.  They used 10,000 bf a day and only made pieces parts to send someplace else to assemble and finish.

ANYWAY,  while on the tour,  our tour guide had us step in a little office on the factory floor.  He showed us a couple of 1x6x8' long and asked if we knew what it was.   I guessed fiddle back maple but I was wrong.  It was red oak.  Never seen the like.  Well,  I have since,  but only a small piece of a board – not the whole board.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rvrdivr

WOW! that is beautiful!

Is that wood from Iowa? I saw some other pictures of some curly white oak recently also. I was wondering if that curly red oak could be found down here in Florida?

twoodward15

I cut down 53 Oak trees and one sassafrass from my back yard two years ago.  I would have had some milled but they are suburban yard trees, you know the gig.  I had one about 20 inch dbh that was curly!!   Unfortunately it is all firewood now.  expensive firewood!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

DanG

Rvrdvr, I have a small stack of that stuff that came from a water oak from my sister's yard. Don't pass up any oaks, and you'll run across some curl, sooner or later.

twooward15, you coulda just about paid for a small mill with those trees. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

iain

$7.48 bdft over here  
like what you did with it :)
     iain

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Yep that is Iowa wood. I sorta stumbled on it by accident, I was just cleaning up the mess and would have been firewood but it just sort of caught my eye.
I will save short pieces from time to time like this walnut but otherwise it is to hard to stack so it usually goes to my firewood pile :D

Hokiemill

S_I_S

Great looking piece.  You do realize that talking about good wood going to a firewood pile is sacrilege around here :D

Gilman

What should have been left as firewood.  At least I now have some nice n flat easy to stack firewood.

Elm crotch

Iowa Sawyer,
Great looking chest.  You have any photos with the lid open and the drawer opened?  I'd like to see it if you have a photos available.

Thanks in advance,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

beav

Wow,that sure is a real peice of work.awesome.
I always thought tiger stripe figure was made by the rays,not curly figure.Go figure.
I know curly maple(red) is verrrry hard to split with a maul.Don't ask,just go figure.

Thank You Sponsors!