iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horizontal stove pipe

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, February 04, 2015, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

How long of a horizontal run of stove pipe can be made without killing the draw? It's probably a factor of the vertical runs before and after the horizontal.
I cant go straight up, could do a 45.
Any thoughts?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

pabst79

You can go quite a ways on the horz, depends on how well your vertical portion drafts, how high above roof line it reaches, then wind and humidity level can cause issues. My indoor boiler has a 3 ft section of horz and drafts great 90% of the time. Is the stovepipe going into a masonry or class A chim? It helps if you can pitch the horz portion a bit to help with draft as well.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

WI Fire

I have been a firefighter for 30 years. I have seen many cobbled installations that led to a fire. Besides proper clearances, realize that the longer the run, the more cooling, and more precipitate will require more frequent disassembly and cleaning of pipes. A 45 degree, or 30 degree angle will facilitate better draw. You want to pay attention which direction the crimped male end connects, so that creosote collects less at the seams.
  The really big factor for draw will be whether you have an interior or exterior chimney, it's size (8 x8, 10 x10 etc), it's height,which will determine draw and velocity.

Your stove pipe (interior) should be of heavy gauge. You can read how to secure the pipes properly with screws , since an actual chimney fire can cause cavitation and red hot pipes that separate and spread fire if unsecured. Pay special attention to the collar connection at your chimney. Do you have a chimney liner? Are tiles cracked? Is mortar good? If you install a chimney liner (Stainless steel) make sure the old creosote is cleaned out properly first. I have seen the old dirty chimney light after a new liner gets hot. enough.

I had a downstairs fireplace with an offset chimney, with a 10 x10 tile lined chimney, and I could not properly install a stove insert until I decreased the chimney diameter with a flex stainless liner. My 35 foot height cost as much as the stove... I have an interior chimney (stays warmer, less creosote).

You can always consult an experienced installer, get a chimney inspection and recommendation regarding materials and price quotes. Write down or get a written bid on material costs. Check around. Save your and your families lives with a good install and good maintenance.

The dryness of the wood you burn will contribute greatly to good and safe burning. Hot fires equal  better combustion, a hot chimney equals better draw and less creosote... talk to others, read, learn and have fun!

Best Wishes,
WI Fire

Mike_Barcaskey

I am looking to change the vertical pipe out of a building, There is no chimney free standing, and run it horizontal just above the ground to a smoke house.
It's going to be atleast a 12 foot run and I can do a slight upward tilt with grade, but not a 45.
or I just stay with my current firebox and smoker
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

pabst79

Just for smoking meat or are you saying you want to run your chimney from a heating unit inside to a smoker on the the outside? In that case NO way, that would be not safe and no insurance company would cover you. You said out of a building, what kind of building? Not your house or shop  :o. On a warmer day with what your saying you'd smoke yourself out of whatever building your wood stove is in.  say_what
Be CAREFUL.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

r.man

My father's house had a horizontal run of stovepipe that was about 12 ft long. Never had a problem. Out of the full sized wood only furnace for about 2 ft, 90 elbow and then slightly upward to the brick chimney that ran about 11 ft in the heated part of the house and then into an unheated attic for about 4 ft before exiting the roof. I don't think the chimney ever got swept. It would get checked when the pipes were cleaned and accumulated debris would get pulled out of the smoke pipe thimble but the creosote got deposited in those 12 ft of pipe and the cleanable heat exchanger in the furnace itself. You could always tell when the pipes needed cleaning because little bits of smoke would start leaking out of the joints when a strong fire was on. I would suggest hangers to support the pipe as well as a shield between them and the surface above them.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!