iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber/cant handling help

Started by yarnammurt, February 03, 2015, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I have been looking for tongs to move square cants. I started cutting my 8x8's today and need a way to move and stack them.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Oliver05262

Quick Google search; Tractor Supply has five different ones on their webpage. Search log tongs. I'm sure there are better made ones out there, but these might do you.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

yarnammurt

I have log tongs. I thought I could find some with  flat sides. So I would not did into the cant.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Roger Nair

Yarnammurt, I see by your account you have a New Holland with a FEL, so to my way of thinking a set of forks will provide a fine material handling solution.  Tongs can be troublesome in terms of both control and safety.  I'm not an equipment guru, but it seems what you describe would need hydraulic assist for security of grasp.  Wouldn't loops rigged as a choker get you the ability to lift securely without all kinds of custom gear.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Thank You Sponsors!