iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what followed me home

Started by Ianab, February 03, 2015, 08:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Was given this by a good friend of Lil's.

Her ex husbands old wood lathe. Her son had first choice on the other tools, but didn't want the lathe, so I said I'd give a loving home.

Big ole 1hp electric motor, weighs about 1/2 a ton.

Also have a garden shed of assorted recycled Rimu to pick up, at least a couple of trailer loads.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

Great! 8) are you a turner already? that's another thing I want to try
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can see a few bowls being auctioned off in the future.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Quote from: yukon cornelius on February 03, 2015, 09:24:12 PM
Great! 8) are you a turner already? that's another thing I want to try

No, never tried turning, but been interested in giving it a go for a while. So when a big solid old lathe like that came along I grabbed it.

Got some of the rimu home. Mixed bag, a few nails, assorted profiles, paints and varnishes.  :D But a lot of good stuff mixed in there.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

downsouth

Nice score!
  Be careful, turning wood is addictive ! 

Magicman

What followed you home is a keeper for sure.  Congrats!!   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

Ian...nice score on the lathe and the wood! Do all trailers in Kiwi land open from the front?  ;) That's the first time I've seen that.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ianab

Quote from: 5quarter on February 08, 2015, 12:51:17 AM
Ian...nice score on the lathe and the wood! Do all trailers in Kiwi land open from the front?  ;) That's the first time I've seen that.

Common feature on most small utility trailers like that. Front and back boards hinge down, or come right off. Lets you haul longer things like ladders, boards or sawmill rails.

pine

Nice solid looking lathe.  Great find for your shop.

Lud

Good luck! watch out for those old lathes.  I got a lathe from N.Z. that is computer controlled that stops if a tool catches which is a safety factor that I've had cause to appreciate. 

A lathe is a time machine that can make the hours disappear .

I've never met a woman who does'nt like wooden bowls.    Time Well Spent! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jueston

Quote from: Lud on February 11, 2015, 06:32:33 PM
Good luck! watch out for those old lathes.  I got a lathe from N.Z. that is computer controlled that stops if a tool catches which is a safety factor that I've had cause to appreciate. 

i'm curious how fast it stops and how it does it? i recently set off my sawstop by making a stupid mistake and it was astounding how fast the blade was gone. just a horrible noise and then silence and the blade is gone...

Ianab

Not sure on the new lathes, but I know that have a fancy VFD drive for the motor, so the speed and torque can be controlled pretty precisely. I imagine the computer could sense a catch and cut the drive in milliseconds. There would still be the inertia of the chuck etc, but at least the motor isn't driving making the grab worse.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/2024/NOVA_2024.htm

But I have got the old beast reassembled, and replaced the ~50 year old wiring to the motor, which was a bit cracked and scary.

And I made a sort of bowl thingy  ;D I think it's OK for a first attempt.  ;)

Ohh, and I made some nice easy 1" round pegs to fix a toy rack at Lil's work. Bonus points for that. ;D

Warped

That bowl is pretty neat looking!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Magicman

Your "thingy" is cute.  :) 

Now where else could I get away with saying that?   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Not sure you're going to get away with it here without a little ribbing. I suspect the Goat won't be able to leave this alone. I'm trying real hard to leave it be myself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

To go with the lathe.  8)

Generic Chinese bandsaw from the local tool shop. But it seems a pretty solid unit. Heavy, and runs nice and smooth. My little benchtop bandsaw was starting to fall apart. It had served me pretty well, but I really needed something better   ;)

LeeB

I see you've been playing with the lathe too. Lots of chips on the floor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on February 24, 2015, 04:26:57 AM
I see you've been playing with the lathe too. Lots of chips on the floor.

Yup, made a few bits of wood into chips  :D

Working out how the various gouges and chisels work with different angles and types of wood. Need to get some green turning blanks, bone dry chunks of hardwood make for a hard learning curve. Apricot is pretty, and smells nice, but turning dry crotch wood is a challenge.   :D

LeeB

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but sharp tools make all the difference in dry wood.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on February 24, 2015, 05:13:28 AM
Not that I'm an expert by any means, but sharp tools make all the difference in dry wood.

100% true. I've found that already. If it's not cutting like it should, break out the diamond plate and give it some attention, and it all changes (for the better)

jueston

the art of turning is the art of sharpening...   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ian, how wide is the blade on your new saw?
I have a small bench top too. I need to upgrade to a better saw to where I can use a wider, stronger blade.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Came with a 12mm (1/2") band, but manual says you can use 6 to 15mm.

CHARLIE

Great find Ianab! You just can't get better than free. I've never heard of a Tanner but it looks like a well built and substantial woodlathe.  Maybe Tanner is made in New Zealand.  I'll tell you this though. Once you get into woodturning, all your other woodworking is going to suffer. But you are going to have the time of your life!  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!