iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by scmilling, February 03, 2015, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scmilling

Hi to all millers. 
I've been following this forum for half a year or more now, and read some excellent stuff. So thought it was time to join with y'all.
my name's shaun, I have a lucas 10-30 mill here in southern Ireland which I'm running as a new business custom cutting for clients at their place. I've finally realised at 50 years I'm too old to be swinging about up top as a climber anymore but can never leave the tree industry, hence the move to milling. I've learnt a lot in the past 4months but starting to get a good amount of work coming in at last.
For all the good tips I've learned from you all so far, thank you. Hope to carry on learning and maybe give some of my own in time.
Good luck and stay safe.
Shaun
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

fishpharmer

scmilling welcome to forestryforum, we are glad to have you!   8) Those Lucasmill's are very nice.  Look forward to hearing more about your endeavors.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

dgdrls

Welcome scmilling,

another Lucas owner on the board,  great news!!

Best
DGDrls

Allen S

Welcome to the forum scmilling

Nomad

Welcome Shaun.  Are you getting "normal" size logs, or are you working on the big stuff?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rooster 58

Welcome to the forum me lad ;)

scmilling

Hi. Yeah its generally normal softwood sawlogs of about 16 -24". Big timber here in Ireland is a real rarity, though I should be cutting some 4-5' macrocarpa next week, but it could be a few years before anything that size comes up again.
Looking forward to it though, maybe the chance to try out the slabbing bar properly instead of circle blade,- don't know what the client needs yet.

Ianab

Swing blade mills just LOVE those big macrocarpa logs   8) :D

They can be a bit hit an miss on the quality once you open them up, but once you get into a good one, you will be smiling.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WmFritz

I'm glad you joined us Shaun. We'll look forward to the pictures of your Macrocarpa lumber.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

GAmillworker

Welcome Shaun

Remember we love pictures even if it is of the landscape

I look forward to your posts
Thank the Lord for second chances

JohnM

Quote from: dgdrls on February 03, 2015, 07:17:43 PM

another Lucas owner on the board,  great news!!

8)  Welcome aboard, Shaun.  My grandfather came over here around 1917-18 from County Cork.  I've never been over there but hope to some day.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Shaun.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Welcome scmilling, I really like the swing mill concept, and look forward to seeing some photos of the lumber from your neck of the woods, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! And good luck with the 10-30.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

78NHTFY

Welcome--good to hear from someone from the other side of the pond!  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

dboyt

Thanks for joining us.  Here's to your next 50 years running the sawmill!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scmilling

Thank you all. Really are a welcoming bunch. I'll try to work out how to get pictures up for you.  It may take a few goes, I do much better with hand tools than keyboards.  :)

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, SCmilling.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Welcome scmilling, and thank for joining in on the fun.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RM Farm

Welcome to the FF scmilling :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

Thank You Sponsors!