iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL 048 IN need of TLC

Started by pabst79, February 03, 2015, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

I think my 048 is finally giving up the ghost, I know I could upgrade but I really prefer the older saws. Compression is down to 115, always wants to idle high and when I adjust air mix it helps for awhile then loses power. I've heard the crank seals are none existent? If I can acquire the parts to rebuild the top end, will I be alright our am I up #@** creek without a saw? Thoughts ?  fiddle-smiley taz-smiley
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Migal

Tear er down put the seals new bearing's in her rings she's good for another year or two  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

pabst79

Any thoughts on finding the crankcase seal or maybe its not an issue? Pull a vacuum to check maybe  :-\

Al_Smith

The flywheel side is not a problem ,unfortunately the clutch side seal is .It's OEM limited to about what you might find on fleabay .I think I might have two in all my junk which I'm going to keep having two 048's and one 042 .

Al_Smith

Forgot to mention the rings are not a problem .It's the same as an 038 magnum,52 mm .Plently of either OEM or after  market stuff .

pabst79

Thanks for info, whats the easiest way to pull a vacuum on crankcase?
smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch

Thank You Sponsors!