iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230d clutch

Started by jd540b, February 03, 2015, 05:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Lost the clutch pedal in my 230 today..thinking either the two clips came off of the pads on the bearing sleeve or the forked yoke stripped?? Was fine then got in it to go and no pedal at all.  clutch won't release.  Guess I'll have to pull the transmission and bell housing ion the am.  Anyone have any other thoughts or had this happen?? Can't imagine how the clips would come off....  :-\ :-\
wonder if there is anyway to get at them from the inspection cover???

so il logger

I haven't had any problem like this with my 225 but I know the clips are gone on my throwout bearing and it still works fine. Can you see the linkage moving when you press pedal? If it is still visibly moving the shaft then maybe the fork has slipped. On my 225 I had just enough room through the inspection hole to get my hand in there. Hopefully not, but could be the fingers on the pressure plate wore enough to break off.

jd540b

Yes, the linkage is moving, and the lever and shaft are turning.  Be nice if it is just the fork slipping-and can tighten it through cover (probably dreaming there).  Going to haul it to my buddies garage and check it out in the am.  Better there than single temps and 3 feet of snow.  :o

David-L

I vote for bolts loosened up on bottom of fork and it is slipping on the rod that goes through the bell housing. 2nd would be psi plate fingers are  #%&*@$% done, broken springs,etc. did mine this summer and I would say that a new psi plate instead of a reman is the way to go. If you get the flywheel turned go with a minimum turning as I can't get my clutch to adjust where I want it to. Releases at the very end, dosent' slip at all just would like it to release a bit earlier. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jd540b

Well, turns out clips came off and bearing turned.  All I can think is i must have hit the clutch lever during installation last time and jammed the forks back causing the clips to bend and come off.  The Linkage has more throw than the bearing..
Live and learn.  Put new pressure plate in while its apart.  Going to tackle pitting it all back together today.  Good day to be in the shop-snowing.....again.  Lots of folks are pulling the plug until snow comes down a bit.

so il logger

You must have alot more free travel in your clutch pedal than I do on my 225. I replaced the engine in mine over a year ago and noticed then that my clips were gone. I'm not sure when they broke could have been anytime between 2004 and 2013 so I went back together with it as it was and haven't had any problem at all. Only thing I can think of would be maybe mines adjusted to where the fork keeps it close enough to the plate to where it cant turn upside down. At least you will have it fixed, and in a shop would beat wading the snow you have :D

OntarioAl

Folks
The fingers on the pressure plate can be adjusted to compensate for the material removed from the flywheel. Also just because its new or even rebuilt the fingers might be set up too low or too high for the specific application.
I found out trying to adjust the steering on an IH500E it has a hydraulic slave cylinder that actuates the clutch throw-out bearing then applies brake pressure. No matter how I adjusted the linkages the brake would be applied before the clutch released. An old mechanic told me to set the fingers up higher so that the bearing starts to put pressure on he fingers in advance of the brake application. . The final drive assembly came out as a complete unit I set it on a flat surface (table saw table) and using a dial indicator to make sure that all were the same height. It has been a while I think I raised them .100 of an inch . It made all the difference.
My thoughts
Al
Al Raman

David-L

Ontario Al, so is that why I can't get the clutch to adjust. Maybe the psi fingers need to be calibrated because of the fly wheel turning to compensate.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

OntarioAl

David
All things being equal if the pressure plate assembly is registering against the newly machined flywheel you have moved the fingers away from your throw-out bearing a distance equal to the amount of material removed from the flywheel.
The fingers should have been set (when assembled) at a height that would allow the clutch peddle / fork linkage and  adjustment to compensate for variations caused by wear and tear and machining the flywheel (within tolerance). This is what makes me think that it (yours) may not have come properly set up.
If you are maxed out on your linkage adjustments then I would look at adjusting the fingers.
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!