iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a couple questions about sealing logs

Started by sawyer2015, February 02, 2015, 07:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyer2015

Ok so am I supposed to use a different kind of sealer for different species? or can I just spray paint the end of all logs with cheap black spray paint. give me some suggestions...thanks
mj

beenthere

By starting a new thread, can't tell from where you got the idea of a different sealer for different species.
So:

One sealer.. Anchorseal

Use for all species if you want to impede some end checking. It isn't essential to end seal logs. Just sometimes prudent depending on what you are looking for out of the logs.

Paint will obscure the end grain when sawing the logs. Not recommended but may do in a pinch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawyer2015

ok I don't have anchorseal now so I put some clear poly on the ends. sometimes my questions sound dumb but ask them because I am curious and want to learn. thanks for the advice.
mj

WDH

Paint is not worthless as a end sealer for logs, just close.  Invest in some anchorseal.  Poly might be better than paint, but anchorseal is cheaper than poly and much, much better. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawyer2015

mj

YellowHammer

Anchorseal is number one in my book, I won't cut the end off a log unless the paint brush is next to the chainsaw.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!