iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finishing up another one

Started by tule peak timber, February 02, 2015, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Oiling a Catalpa slab table top this morning . It mounts on the steel leg set to left in the pic. 4 inches thick, crazy heavy !  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

jueston

beautiful work as always.

do you assemble the legs to the slab in your shop or on site to make shipping a little easier?

do the legs have slotted holes for the bolts/screws? or how is movement compensated for?

Magicman

That Catalpa is eye popping pretty.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Jueston, Yes the mounting holes are slotted for wood movement. Sometimes we attach the legs here and the customer brings a truck and away they go. This piece is so heavy ,we fit everything and then take it back apart to allow unloading at the other end . This is a minimum 4 man lift top.
  Magicman , thanks. I don't get much Catalpa in here but the tabletops are killer popular with the deep chatoyancy  .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

hackberry, No , not on this table.

Bill Gaiche

Thats going to be one Dang nice table fer sure. bg

woodworker9

That is a gorgeous slab of wood.  Thanks for posting.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

mesquite buckeye

If you ever get access to desert willow, Chilopsis linearis the wood is nearly identical, fyi. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Nice! as usual,,  it seems that you continue to raise the bar with each project,, nice work,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jemclimber

I'm glad you document so much of your work and post it for us to see. It's beautiful!!!
lt15

Left Coast Chris

Just beautiful.  I love the aged black around the cracks.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Bill Gaiche

I agree on the posting's. That helps us that need help in designing our own projects. We may not make the same thing, but it gives us ideas to design our own. Thanks Rob. bg

AK Newbie

Wow that is a beautiful table!  Thanks for sharing!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

tule peak timber

Just some notes on this build; It is an outdoor table so I made the decision to flatten , sand and detail out all of the cracks with dental tools. I did not fill any of the polished out cracks at all and simply put on  a log home oil finish . The customer picked the finish style,  the slab, and the leg design (from a magazine). I urged the customer to rethink the size and thickness of the slab for sake of practicality and in the end I cut the slab down from 15 feet to 10 plus. The legs are 1/2 steel plate , not my design , and when mounted under the 4 inch thick slab act like rubber bands. Not good !Point is , rely on your own building experience when advising clients , have everything in writing, and do the best job possible on your end. Cheers , thanks for the comments.  Rob

lowpolyjoe

Wow, that's a beauty!

How long did that slab take to dry?

tule peak timber

It was a dry dead log from San Francisco when I received it.  3 years air drying , 60 days in the kiln.  Rob

Thank You Sponsors!