iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day watching videos of WM

Started by Peter Drouin, February 02, 2015, 11:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A lot of snow today, So I went on the web and watch videos of Wood Mizers and I see the ones overseas and they seem to have more things on them. Like 3 loading arms or a thing that will move the logs front and back to line up better. Or the ones with 2 axles and there like 24' bed on them.
I think all call WM and get some stuff. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Are they holding out on us here in the states!?  that aint fair!
Boy, back in my day..

jueston

i have heard that WM's in other countries are substantially more expensive...  :)

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

We've had lousy weather here plus I have a sore hoof from my son dropping a spud bar and small log on it last week so I did the same thing. I love watching the missionary in Africa cutting boards and the difference it made in the area. There is another on WM Way about the missionary in Mongolia with his mill. I met him on vacation several years ago and my daughter had treated his son from a horse riding accident (Wolves scared the horse and boy got dragged). Its a small world. I worked in Africa and brings back fond memories seeing the people working there. I liked the ones in Asia (Thailand and Malaysia I think) with all the barefoot guys in shorts and such. No such thing as OSHA or whatever there. We visited a French run mill in the Central African Republic while on vacation there and it was a hoot to see.

The Europeans in the videos are all in coveralls and such and show differences in their cultures too.

Oh well, my foot will heal, your snow will melt and we can all get back to work before too much longer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Any good ones you recommend?  We've got alot of snow on the ground so not much going on besides going out and shoveling/plowing every so often
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on February 02, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
Any good ones you recommend?  We've got alot of snow on the ground so not much going on besides going out and shoveling/plowing every so often

Not really, I'm just bouncing around :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ga Mtn Man

Here's one for the LT40:

http://youtu.be/IgMz630VdY4

I would love to have the cant hold-down clamps they show in the LT40 and 70 videos.  Is that an additional bunk I see after the moveable one?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

There are options for mills overseas that are not available here in the states, and sometimes vice-versa!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

I think the debarker turns the other way from mine.
And a lot more safety on the mill too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Those hold down clamps are slick.  I wonder why they don't offer some things in the states that they do in europe and vice versa?  Wouldn't you think that if it makes the mill better in one country it would in a different country too?
Boy, back in my day..

Gwhunter

I've noticed these options also, I was watching a vid the other day with an lt15 and debarker.

I wonder why WM doesn't offer all these options in the states?

Matt

beenthere

QuoteI wonder why WM doesn't offer all these options in the states?

Very likely that they have studied their marketing and know what works for them here and what works best there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Quote from: beenthere on February 02, 2015, 08:09:45 PM
QuoteI wonder why WM doesn't offer all these options in the states?

Very likely that they have studied their marketing and know what works for them here and what works best there.

But I would want a lot of what they have. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

barbender

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 02, 2015, 06:04:36 PM
I think the debarker turns the other way from mine.
And a lot more safety on the mill too.

I noticed the debarker spins forward, too. It never made a lot of sense to me having it spin the other way and shooting everything at the operator.  I've been hit by a few pieces of debris that really hurt! >:( It always reminds me to keep some safety glasses on, anyways ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 02, 2015, 08:20:25 PM

But I would want a lot of what they have. ;D

I really like the full-width light bar!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

schakey

As a extra board driver for YRC Fright( Yellow/Roadway) , I spend a lot of time stuck in motels waiting for a work call. My IPad and sawmill videos sure help pass the time away :)
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

flatrock58

Neat video.  If you reverse the power leads to the debarker will it run in reverse?  That would be nice not having things thrown at you.  I guess your off loader might get hit then though.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

waho

I complained about the rest of the world getting better stuff than we do a couple of years ago, Happy Camper mentioned it also under the 'Is't it interesting thread". Just look at the difference between the euro LT10 and the one we are forced to buy.

4x4American

I'm not sure how WM's mudsaw works, but if you switch the polarity to make it spin the other way, would you have to flip the blade on it too?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Yes, the teeth would be the wrong way. I think the Euro debarker has a long arm that reaches out in front of the mill head and the debarker trails behind it to allow it to spin in the other direction. I see a lot of the Euro mills have more bunks. I'd like to have some more between the mill and the BX. Maybe some more backstops, too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

The arm on it Pulls the debarker, Mine pushes it. If I did get the blade to go the other way it would dig into the log and not work,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Agree Peter, If you reversed the direction of the U.S. LT40's the debarker would dig in and probably end up breaking something, it just wouldn't work.

The angle of the mount would need to be changed to allow it to be reversed.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Percy

Im not sure if this is allowed here so remove if its outta line.
Just a vid of my setup cutting cottonwood 4x4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGVWx5fD4Us
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

What is the blue tank on top of the mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!